• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Miss the watch talk. And pics. Picked up this little beauty a couple months ago and told myself this was it for life, but I'm already eyeing used GMTs with the Pepsi bezel. Always been a sucker for pretty things I can't afford...

When it comes to Rolex, I can't get over the Mercedes on the hour hand (even though I know it's not really Mercedes) or the cyclops lens over the date window (yes I know it's optional). Not to mention the price. It's a fine watch no doubt, but the Rolex look never quite "did it" for me. I've always been more of an Omega guy- Speedmaster since you didn't ask, but I'm eyeballing a Planet Ocean like this for my next big watch:

21533402001001.png

That said, if you're going to go the Rolex GMT route, I personally think this one looks better than the Pepsi bezel. It's apparently known as the "Batman". It's one of the best looking Rolexes out there IMHO. Google says it's model #116710 BLNR. I believe it also has a ceramic bezel, so it should wear very well over time.

rolex-gmt-reference-116710BLNR.png

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
rolex-milgauss-xl.jpg

If I ever get a Rolex, I like this one

hooflys

pilot
Contributor

Never thought about the "Mercedes" hour hand, but its kind of an iconic look for me. I can understand the sentiment on the cyclops, though. I'm used to it now, but I could take it or leave it. More than anything I appreciate the feel and utility of the watch in addition to its history. I'd be lying if I didn't buy it in part because I miss being around aviation and high functioning equipment with very specific tolerances.

The X-33 made me a fan of Omega and, no question, the Speedmaster is double d titties (in the parlance of an old friend) and also a watch I wouldn't mind picking up. IRT the Rolexes, I like the old Pepsi bezeled GMTs because they show their age more than the ceramic bezels. Never been a huge fan of the Batman. If I pick up another, I wouldn't mind some scars and a story to tell. To each his own. At least we've got good taste.

@Treetop Flyer why the Milgauss? Good looking watch, but I think an atypical choice

sevenhelmet

pilot
If I ever get a Rolex, I like this one

(Rolex Milgauss Photo)

A fine choice. I like the Milgauss, the essentially unchanged design of the watch, and its history of being designed for scientists at CERN. I just happen to like the Planet Ocean better. Interestingly, every Omega "Master Chronometer" is also designed and tested to withstand more magnetic fields than you'd expect to see unless you wore it to, say, your next MRI (which I doubt your doc would recommend).

There is indeed some excellent taste in this thread.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Never thought about the "Mercedes" hour hand, but its kind of an iconic look for me. I can understand the sentiment on the cyclops, though. I'm used to it now, but I could take it or leave it. More than anything I appreciate the feel and utility of the watch in addition to its history. I'd be lying if I didn't buy it in part because I miss being around aviation and high functioning equipment with very specific tolerances.

The X-33 made me a fan of Omega and, no question, the Speedmaster is double d titties (in the parlance of an old friend) and also a watch I wouldn't mind picking up. IRT the Rolexes, I like the old Pepsi bezeled GMTs because they show their age more than the ceramic bezels. Never been a huge fan of the Batman. If I pick up another, I wouldn't mind some scars and a story to tell. To each his own. At least we've got good taste.

@Treetop Flyer why the Milgauss? Good looking watch, but I think an atypical choice
I just think it looks cool

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know a guy who knows a guy who has quoted decent new Rolex prices, but what does a used Pepsi Rolex go for? And how do you even do that without getting ripped off? Is a dealer the best bet?

Also, dumb question....how do you use the bezel with 24 increments? 60 increments makes sense (and what I'm used to), but 24 increments seems like you're limiting yourself to only hour measurements and not minutes (or seconds).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@sevenhelmet You can take a cyclops Rolex to an authorized watch shop and they can replace the crystal with one sans cyclops. It's a good look.

Also I feel shitty but I haven't worn my X33 in months since getting an Apple Watch.

sevenhelmet

pilot
@sevenhelmet You can take a cyclops Rolex to an authorized watch shop and they can replace the crystal with one sans cyclops. It's a good look.

I'm aware, and I agree that it's an improvement to the look. But 1.5-2x the price of the Omega and me liking the Omega better, that's what I'm currently saving for. :cool:

Also I feel shitty but I haven't worn my X33 in months since getting an Apple Watch.

You should! I prefer a watch I don't have to remove to go into classified briefing spaces.;)

Also, which version X-33? I have the new one that released in 2014, but I have yet to see another aviator wearing it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You should! I prefer a watch I don't have to remove to go into classified briefing spaces.;)

Also, which version X-33? I have the new one that released in 2014, but I have yet to see another aviator wearing it.

I got it in 2011, so "Gen 2" I believe.

And it does provide a lot of good functionality, plus no vaults in the land of Orange and White.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
They make a really nice Sub without the Date window and Cyclops lens:

zw-110635w.jpg

I also love the new Daytona with the ceramic bezel, although good luck finding them. I was quoted over a 2 year wait for the white bezel version:

Rolex-Cosmograph-Daytona-2016-116500LN-aBlogtoWatch-23.jpg

On another note, how do you like wearing the Apple Watch? I was debating getting a NATO strap for mine and wearing it while flying, figured the timers and dual time zones would bring a little more utility than the standard Casio.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I've been going vintage lately with mechanical railroad grade pocket watches. Very affordable and you can regulate them yourself with the proper tools.

My Elgin B.W. Raymonds...23j 494 with wind indicator [c. 1933] and 21j 571 [c. 1953]. Good flyin' watches.

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6721.JPG

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Oh, yeah...almost forgot...Hooters girls dig big ass railroad grade pocket watches. See the Hooters girl below digging my big ass railroad grade 18 size 21j Illinois A. Lincoln [c. 1910] in a Dueber Railway Silverine Watch Case...

IMG_5907.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG