• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Damn, all this time I thought yardstick was the poor man's MIDS...

Do Hornets provide azimuth information when in Yardstick? I've never understood why we can't get that in the -60, especially for the ASW platforms, which already have a VHF/DF mode for buoys AND DF capability for UHF/VHF.

TexasForever

pilot
Do Hornets provide azimuth information when in Yardstick? I've never understood why we can't get that in the -60, especially for the ASW platforms, which already have a VHF/DF mode for buoys AND DF capability for UHF/VHF.
Would also like to know for the skid side of the house. Does it have to do with the fact that the "station" is moving and spinning and can't be baselined to magnetic north (kind of like the spinning tacan for the boat)?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Would also like to know for the skid side of the house. Does it have to do with the fact that the "station" is moving and spinning and can't be baselined to magnetic north (kind of like the spinning tacan for the boat)?

But I can DF another aircraft? Sure, it's not as stable as a TACAN needle, but close enough for SA. That's why it's just seemed odd to me.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Do Hornets provide azimuth information when in Yardstick?

Nope. If that's an option, I haven't yet seen an aircraft that can do it. Without MIDS, we use flow headings, closure rate, and altitude deconfliction to manage flights when visual mutual support breaks down.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Slight threadjack - does anyone know where to get miniature, gold wings, CAS pin, etc? Not talking the ones for mess dress, but smaller ones for wear on sport coat lapels, etc. Thanks . . . . .

Pags

N/A
pilot
Slight threadjack - does anyone know where to get miniature, gold wings, CAS pin, etc? Not talking the ones for mess dress, but smaller ones for wear on sport coat lapels, etc. Thanks . . . . .
Got mine at the NAS Pax Museum gift shop. In all honesty I don’t think they’re much different in size from the mess dress mini wings.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I got winged, my parents gave me a matching set of gold wings and a gold tie pin set of wings. The tie pin was definitely smaller than a set of mess dress wings, but not by much. They bought the set at the museum at NPA, but I'm sure you can buy them individually.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Vanguard makes a miniature wing - and designed to ve given to a wife/girlfriend - but sized perfectly for a guys lapel. Available at Abbots or at Vanguard on their web site

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Nope. If that's an option, I haven't yet seen an aircraft that can do it. Without MIDS, we use flow headings, closure rate, and altitude deconfliction to manage flights when visual mutual support breaks down.

That's what I was talking about when I mentioned ADF. If you have good yardstick, you say something useless requiring a response from your wingman on aux, then flip the switch, and you get an azimuth swing of the ADF circle/spermy on the HSI/SA page compass rose outer ring, and then reference the range from yardstick. Used it all the time in the RAG (no MIDS) and even a while after I was the FNG, before I could reliably get into MIDS :)

edit: new Charlie cones out there, don't do this if deconfliction is in question.....crushing your aux freq with static when you should be talking about altitudes and talking eyes back on is really bad.....im just talking about when you are like 5 miles apart and diverging, trying to get the band back together. I don't want to see my username in an SIR k?

Last edited: