• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Hammy 950 railroad jobber [c. 1927] for Church today...as well as for the rest of the day...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Holy smokes! ?

The Hammy 950 railroad jobber [c. 1927] says it’s still St. Patrick’s Day! ?

Sweet! ?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Was referring to the routing, not the aircraft flown or airline. I know you flew 4-5 legs a day for a long time before HA and checking out on a wide body?
Lighten up Wink, it was just poking fun at scoolbubba and SWA. Lots of (non-SWA) people joke that working for SWA is like working for a regional with major pay and work rules. It's like the Navy giving the Marines shit or brown versus black shoes. Quit reading anything more into it and trying to make it something it's not.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
@Rugby_Guy @sevenhelmet
Noticed you both have some version of the Hamilton Khaki Automatics, and I've been considering buying one for over a year now since Omega's and Brietlings cost almost as much as another motorcycle. Do you guys like them? How do they hold up as a nice day to day watch? Do you wear them in the jet, and how well do they hold up to getting roughed up if so?

Pags

N/A
pilot
@Rugby_Guy @sevenhelmet
Noticed you both have some version of the Hamilton Khaki Automatics, and I've been considering buying one for over a year now since Omega's and Brietlings cost almost as much as another motorcycle. Do you guys like them? How do they hold up as a nice day to day watch? Do you wear them in the jet, and how well do they hold up to getting roughed up if so?
Not one of the dudes you mentioned but I used to wear a Hamilton as my day to day watch for about a decade. It eventually broke in such a way that it was more expensive to fix than to replace. But beyond that it was a great watch for the price and got the shit kicked out of it for 10yrs in the helo/boat. I got my dad one for his retirement and he's been wearing it with no issues for a decade now and he exposes it to a lot less. So, in summary, my experience has been good and I'd get one again (and I eye one every so often).

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
@Rugby_Guy @sevenhelmet

Great choice! They hold up well as a day-to-day watch that is absolutely durable enough to handle flying. I wear mine casually, but I have a friend who uses a Hamilton Khaki Auto on a bracelet as his daily wear/flier and has never had an issue with it. The one thing to note is that they aren't chrono-accurate, so you'll have to "re-hack" your watch every once in a while, depending on how accurate you need it to be. Both of mine gain between 6-8 seconds a day, which is about average and well within Hamilton's specs for the watch.

Because posting about watches is worthless without pictures, here are a couple of the first mechanical I ever bought, a 38mm Hamilton Khaki. I stuck it on a Hodinkee vintage strap after my dogs stole the Hamilton off my night stand and ate the original strap:

Still runs like a champ, despite my dogs' best efforts. Yes, that is a tooth mark on the front at the 10:30 lug. It's not as deep as the picture makes it look, and the only evidence that my watch went on its own version of "Fantastic Voyage". ?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
eb28916e-3328-4a6d-b2bf-4a0c09113bf5-jpeg.21499

giphy.gif

Answer:

giphy.gif

Duc'-guy25

pilot
The one thing to note is that they aren't chrono-accurate, so you'll have to "re-hack" your watch every once in a while, depending on how accurate you need it to be. Both of mine gain between 6-8 seconds a day, which is about average and well within Hamilton's specs for the watch.

I definitely like the purity of an automatic, but how sacrilegious is it to get a watch with a quartz movement to avoid constantly having to re-hack? 6-8 seconds for day to day use definitely sounds pretty good for an automatic movement, I'm probably just spoiled by my $20 casio that gave me solid three star fixes for months on in.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I definitely like the purity of an automatic, but how sacrilegious is it to get a watch with a quartz movement to avoid constantly having to re-hack? 6-8 seconds for day to day use definitely sounds pretty good for an automatic movement, I'm probably just spoiled by my $20 casio that gave me solid three star fixes for months on in.
It's really not a huge pain to pull out the knob and roll the minute hand back a bit.