• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Running Program Should I Use To Train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNole04

Hi. I'm trying to figure out which training program to use (5k, 10k, etc) and could use a little help. I ran cross country for my high school this year. Next year, I will be attending Purdue University and would like to compete in cross country. They run a 8k I believe in their races. Also, I will be participating in ROTC and would like to get my 3 mile time to 18 minutes. I was wondering which training program I should be using in order to be competitive in both of these? Should I be training for a 5k? 10k? Some totally oddball training program? Any help is welcomed. Thanks.

jburnes

well if you're thinking about trying to be a walk-on for the purdue xc team then expect to get your a$$ handed to you for the first few weeks...maybe months...its going to be 60-80 miles a week for the entire season...if you aren't running 3 miles in 18 minutes by the end of the summer then i'd suggest not trying out for the xc team...

good on the college level is an 8k (5mi) around 25 minutes...freshman on their way to being good should be atleast in the 28-29 minute region...

a lot of freshman get hurt their first season due to lack off training over the summer and the fact that college is on a totally different level...

im sure your ROTC group will be running regularly and there will probably be a lot more people in your speed range, which might make running a lot more fun

livefast

I think a lot of people have the misconception that you if you run at your normal pace for 5k or even 10k you'll eventually be able to do 3k in 18min. Not so. It doesn't matter how long you run or how far. You will never improve your time unless you're running at a 6-minute-mile pace Here's a program that will get you 3k in 18 min: Start by running 1/2 a mile at a 6-minute-mile pace. Rest for 1 minute. Then run another 1/2 mile at the same pace. Rest again. Do that 6 times for a total of 3 miles. As you improve, do 1 mile at a 6-minute-mile pace, rest, and repeat 2 more times. Soon enough you'll be able to eliminate the rests in between for a successful 3k in 18min.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
That's an interesting program. Are you supposed to run it every day, every other day, what? I've got until the end of July to improve my PFT for the OCC 187 class and I'm always looking for ways to improve my run. Currently I run something between 19-20 min, but I'd love to pound out a sub 18.

livefast

ArcAngel: not an easy answer. If you run 5 times a week and can do it in 19-20 minutes, by all means, do it 5 times a week It should take you about 3 weeks to get 3k in 18min, well before the end of July.

penderwt

yut king
18:00

the 3 one-mile repeats, while a good workout, won't do it on their own. the workouts posted on marineofficer.com are insufficient as well. i am an experienced cross-country, road race, and marathon runner, and i can tell you with confidence that 3 - 1 mile repeats every other day WILL NOT DO IT. there are a lot of ways to get there..here's my advice....

Monday - Half-mile and/or(you can mix and match within the workout) mile repeats totalling 4 miles in distance. do this at 6 min. mile pace or better. this is your HARDEST day, you might just puke, but semper fi.

Tuesday - Distance run 5.5-7 miles, at 7:30/mile.

Wednesday - Find a long hill(about 100-200m) and run up it 20-25 times. This is another hard day. you might puke again, but roll with it.

Thursday - another distance run. if your tuesday run was more like 7 miles, make this one more like 5, or vice versa.

Friday-20 minute run, slow..about 8 or 9 minute miles.

Saturday-do a three mile as fast as you can...then a mile+ cool down, and rest on Sunday. this will make a difference after just one week, but the difference will be huge after 3 or 4...
good luck and Semper Fi,
penderwt

TargetInSight

tougs9 said:
what about running on treadmills at real high speeds to push you
Is it me or are treadmills easier? Seems like you pick your feet UP to move forward, but when you're running you have to propell yourself forward. Sure you sweat your balls off either way, but PFTs measure performance.

I was a treadmill stud :bunny_125 and got a nasty wake-up when I transitioned to pounding the pavement.

leimarfc

run realy, realy fast.

ive tried a slew of different routens, i find the one that worked for me is to just run 3miles and at the last 100y sprint full out, you will feel like you are goind to die but thats ok. as you go on try to pick up the pace at the end of your run and as time goes and you keep picking up the pace earlier in the run your time will start droping.

WTFover

Arctic Alpha
A good way to get good at running in general is to get the miles in, that means you just have to run whenever you can. Train hard at 4 (30min) or 5 (38min) miles and then running 3 miles fast will be a breeze. Sprint workouts help out tremendously. Try doing pyramid sprints. Go to a track and do 100's 200's 400's 800's and 1200's. Another good thing to do is hills/bleachers, no matter if your PFT course is on flat ground or not, this will help out a lot. The speed work outs will help you with your final kick. I usually start pick up the pace in the last .4 -.5 miles and by the last .2(320yds) I am sprinting as fast as possible.
Another good thing, for me anyways, is to go run 7 miles once a week. That gets your body used to working hard for a long period of time.
One final good thing to do is run mile repeats. Run 1 mile as fast as you can, wait 5 minutes or so and then repeat until you can't do it anymore.

jburnes

I'll agree with most of what WTFover said, but that strategy on mile repeats sounds a little odd...

you arent suppose to run as fast as you can on mile repeats..if you did then you'd run one really fast mile and probably not feel like running another one...mile repeats are suppose to be done at a pace where they can be repeated several times, most often then length of race you are training for. So if you guys are training for a 3mi run then you need to do atleast 3 repeats...and they should all be at the same pace...

as for picking the pace you should run at...maybe spend 10 bucks to run in some 5k road race and then divide that time by 3.1 and you've got yourself a pace that you can atleast handle and not get burnt out...

leimarfc

cross country and ROTC, sounds like a lot of PT. Im doing rugby and ROTC and its given me lots of problems hurting myself do to too much PT. but i like it! I am not shure about your unit but at OSU the Marine Options and MECEPs workout 3x a week and then if cross country is every day Im a little worried about your knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.