• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which platforms see the most combat in today's world?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Fun fact, if you've serve id >30 years, you cannot be recalled. :D That is until someone makes some kind of emergency declaration. ?
I can't remember the terminology for the the different retired lists, but if you are retired you are technically able to be recalled to AD until you turn 60 (IIRC), then you go on the permanent retired list. Never has been done before, probably only in response WWIII type shit.

Hadn't heard of the 30 yr service exception, but I don't doubt it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I can't remember the terminology for the the different retired lists, but if you are retired you are technically able to be recalled to AD until you turn 60 (IIRC), then you go on the permanent retired list. Never has been done before, probably only in response WWIII type shit.

Hadn't heard of the 30 yr service exception, but I don't doubt it.

Yeah the first part is what I was referring to. My old man always joked about it in jest, like "well it would have to be pretty bad for them to need ME back", until I guess about 27 years ago, when he was 60. Also hadn't heard about the 30 year thing. I guess you learn some new things here every once in a while :)

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Yeah the first part is what I was referring to. My old man always joked about it in jest, like "well it would have to be pretty bad for them to need ME back", until I guess about 27 years ago, when he was 60. Also hadn't heard about the 30 year thing. I guess you learn some new things here every once in a while :)
At this point, I could still knock the shit out of an ODO/SDO duty...That's probably about it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
At this point, I could still knock the shit out of an ODO/SDO duty...That's probably about it.

I'm getting a few years ahead of myself here, but I feel like asking for one last ODO/duty might be more fitting for the broader Navy "last flight" than an actual one........how awesome would that be for the friends/family to watch? ?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I'm getting a few years ahead of myself here, but I feel like asking for one last ODO/duty might be more fitting for the broader Navy "last flight" than an actual one........how awesome would that be for the friends/family to watch? ?
They would sit and observe in awe, I'm guessing. No chance of getting yourself killed by doing something stupid. Really no downside to the concept IMO.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
They would sit and observe in awe, I'm guessing. No chance of getting yourself killed by doing something stupid. Really no downside to the concept IMO.
At least until the Chycaps sink the USS Boaty McBoatface.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
At least until the Chycaps sink the USS Boaty McBoatface.
No sir, this is strictly a CONUS based final flight/duty concept. Not some raggedy-assed Tiger cruise thing, where family and friends are in potential danger.

We're talking about an ODO manning their last time at the briefing podium. Crisply decoding TAF's, responsibly relaying NOTAM's, and accurately relaying aircraft assignments. After asking if there are any questions (and there are are none), a confident march back to the desk. Slow claps from the back of the ready room emanate. It's a perfect send-off.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
He was IRR, and his experience was based on what actually happened to more than a few IRR types in the Korean War to include Ted Williams.
Teddy Fuckin' Ballgame! He's definitely an interesting character. You couldn't imagine a similar tale of war service these days, bc it wouldn't be possible.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I mean, if we actually went to war with China, I think plenty of old guys who thought they were retired would end up in that melee as well. That would presume they could be mobilized before nuclear warheads started impacting the west coast though.
Based on the state of our Aviation Defense Industrial Complex, I'm pretty sure we'll run out of Rhinos and Growlers before we need to consider recalling people to active duty.

I guess we could bring nittany back to hop in the Old Girl one more time, but we'll probably be out of working pods at that point too...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Based on the state of our Aviation Defense Industrial Complex, I'm pretty sure we'll run out of Rhinos and Growlers before we need to consider recalling people to active duty.

I guess we could bring nittany back to hop in the Old Girl one more time, but we'll probably be out of working pods at that point too...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I mean, if we actually went to war with China, I think plenty of old guys who thought they were retired would end up in that melee as well. That would presume they could be mobilized before nuclear warheads started impacting the west coast though.
It isn’t a new concept…
IMG_1681.jpeg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The F-15 and F-16 guys have been getting some love lately according to the press releases.