• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which platforms see the most combat in today's world?

I've heard a little bit about what it is like to fly some of the platforms, but how much combat do they actually experience? Does the AH-1Z for example see a lot of combat now? Does the F-35 or even the MV-22 see any type of combat now?

Alternatively, which platforms see the least combat in today's world?

As a winged aviator, was this a factor at all for y'all when determining which platform you would rather fly?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the site! I recommend searching around/doing a bit of googling before starting a thread. Also, please fill out your profile information.

Regarding your question, since we aren’t engaged in any wars currently, the answer is none of them see any combat now.

Beyond that, every type of aircraft you mentioned could theoretically perform a combat mission. It ultimately depends on your definition of combat (e.g. air to air engagements, supporting troops on the ground, delivering troops to a landing zone, etc).

I’d recommend researching what each aircraft actually does, deciding what mission set interests you, and using that to inform your decision. Basing your decision on the likelihood of flying combat missions isn’t the right way to go about it.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’d guess that 42% of the TH-57’s will never see combat.

As an aside, get ready for a blast! You have asked a question that many young people might ask without realizing there is no good answer because “combat” is kind of hard to define. To an outsider one might think P-3/P-8 types never see combat, but those people spend a lot of time balancing on the razor’s edge of routine exercise and cataclysm. The fighter boys get all the press, but the days of “glorious” air-to-air combat are pretty much over and most VFA (VMFA) squadrons are really. VfA squadrons. When I was in Iraq and Afghanistan I’d say medivac helicopters saw more “comant” then attack helicopters, but the army scout helicopters saw enough enemy fire to satisfy any warrior. In short, there is no real answer because each system relies on the other to do their mission. No airframe operates “alone” in the combat arena.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since we aren’t currently at war, nobody is seeing combat. In the future, if we go to war with China, those who see combat will have an above average chance of dying, so you’ve got that going for you, which is nice.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
“The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.”

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Your best bet of employing ordnance from an airborne asset these days is by flying UAVs. If that’s what you really want, go Air Force and enjoy that conex in Cheech.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you mean? Do you mean above average because it is in fact war, or moreso in comparison to other conflicts?
Combat against a peer adversary means attrition of US forces at peer adversary levels. Translation: a lot of aviators are going to die. Maybe even you.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I mean, if we actually went to war with China, I think plenty of old guys who thought they were retired would end up in that melee as well. That would presume they could be mobilized before nuclear warheads started impacting the west coast though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I mean, if we actually went to war with China, I think plenty of old guys who thought they were retired would end up in that melee as well. That would presume they could be mobilized before nuclear warheads started impacting the west coast though.
Fun fact, if you've served >30 years, you cannot be recalled. :D That is until someone makes some kind of emergency declaration. ?