• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which paths guarantee me a flight spot?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Quick question: which is a "better" deal these days ??? The four year scholarship right out of high school or the "last two years" in BDCP?? I.e., approximately what is the total payout, school differences notwithstanding ???

I know that 4 is "greater" than 2 ... but it's all about $$$$$ in the end, yes ???

Back-in-the-day .. the 4 year was survival island money-wise, as no one got "rich" (a relative term in college) and I still had to work to support my extra-curricular hedonistic life style ... :icon_rast

I had a full scholarship to UMD because I was a volunteer firefighter. I then picked up numerous smaller cash scholarships. So before I even looked into BDCP I was already a few hundred in the + per month... then I had my part time job, which I did for fun.

The last few years of pay just sent my already skydiving & firearm enriched life into over drive. But by far the best benefit of BDCP was having time in service and accrued leave. It was really nice to have 40 days off after OCS to get everything in order and relax.

So I figure I was paid out about... 50k after tax during college, and then 2 months of leave. Plus the fact that I'm higher on the time in service scale... I'd say I did very well with BDCP over an NROTC type scholarship. But that's just my particular situation.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Although I will be transfering to a 4 year university from my community college, may I still apply for PLC even though I have been at my community college for 3 years, or will I no longer be eligable?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... I'd say I did very well with BDCP over an NROTC type scholarship. But that's just my particular situation.

Nice ... sounds a little like the old NAVCAD program. Probably it's offspring. You know how the government likes to reinvent the same thing over and over. NAVCAD used to be a better deal overall than NROTC 4-year scholarships.

pdx

HSM Pilot
If I had things to do over again, I would have gone BDCP. If your situation fits into BDCP, I would highly recommend it.

pdx

HSM Pilot
I did not decide to join the Navy until after I graduated college, so I went to OCS. In college, I thought about joining the Navy, but I wasn't positive I wanted the Navy life and all that it would entail. I also had thoughts about working as an engineer in the aerospace field. Bottom line is I wasn't ready to make the committment.

Then, during my last year of college, some terrorists killed about 3000 fellow americans. I also had a hard time finding quality employment in the aerospace engineer field. Suddenly the Navy looked very appealing to me.

I never had the opportunity to join BDCP. Knowing what I know now, however, I think BDCP is the best commissioning program the Navy has to offer. It doesn't fit for everybody, but I recommend considering it.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
Thanks,

Greg I understand that. :)

I apply for PLC in my junior year, correct? And for Navy OCS in my senior?

You can apply for PLC your freshman year. However, as a frosh or sophomore you'll have to do two 6 week OCS classes for the Marine path. The benifit is you'll have a lot more time to work out all the hurdles that will inevitably show up. You could wait and do one 10 week OCS class your junior or senior year, or even OCC after you graduate. You'll get a Air slot, either SNA or SNFO, no guaranteed airfram until your in flight school, provided you pass the ASTB and medical.