• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which paths guarantee me a flight spot?

A.E.

Hi,

I cannot do the Academy option so I would like to know which way of getting a commission will guarantee me a flight spot. I am not picky on which branch of military and I'm simply looking for information. Thanks.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Hi,

I cannot do the Academy option so I would like to know which way of getting a commission will guarantee me a flight spot. I am not picky on which branch of military and I'm simply looking for information. Thanks.

USMC... PLC
USN... OCS

I think, I could be wrong though! Search the forums, I'm sure it has been covered!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hi,.....I would like to know which way of getting a commission will guarantee me a flight spot. I am not picky on which branch of military ...Thanks.
You are welcome. I believe the Salvation Army is currently the only branch that will guarantee a flight spot. I could be wrong ... just what I've heard ....

Standin' tall ... and lookin' good. Can you see yourself in this picture now ??? :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Salvation Navy...the Salvation Army's overlooked cousin.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
While OCS and PLC wil "guarantee" you a flight spot, you've still got to pass the medical tests and the ASTB to be granted said spot. Once there, you still have to perform like eveyrone else to get your wings.

A.E.

Thanks,

Greg I understand that. :)

I apply for PLC in my junior year, correct? And for Navy OCS in my senior?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Go in to a recruiter and talk to them. I'm not sure on the Marine side, but I went in to the Navy recruiter middle of sophmore year and got into BDCP, and was paid my last 2 years of college. You can do a search on BDCP and find out all sorts of information.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I went in to the Navy recruiter middle of sophmore year and got into BDCP, and was paid my last 2 years of college.....
Quick question: which is a "better" deal these days ??? The four year scholarship right out of high school or the "last two years" in BDCP?? I.e., approximately what is the total payout, school differences notwithstanding ???

I know that 4 is "greater" than 2 ... but it's all about $$$$$ in the end, yes ???

Back-in-the-day .. the 4 year was survival island money-wise, as no one got "rich" (a relative term in college) and I still had to work to support my extra-curricular hedonistic life style ... :icon_rast

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Last year, the Navy (or taxpayers depending on how you see it) paid for $35,000 worth of school and flight costs. The financial aid offered by the school paid for my off-campus housing in an awesome apartment and the leftover $$ gave me about $500 a month to spend on whatever I wanted. NROTC is a very good deal. Now if only I could get out of Daytona Beach.

You can apply for PLC during your freshman year. As soon as you are enrolled in an accredited university with atleast 12 credit hours you are eligble. (Along with the citizenship requirements and stuff like that) Guaranteed flight spots are available granted you pass the ASTB, MEPS, and have your eyes cleared by a doc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not to rain on everyone's parade here, but citizenship is a key point to the whole application process. I'm guessing once you have that in line, recruiters are going to be more helpful. Perhaps Wink can elaborate.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
You could enlist and receive your citizenship through the service. NBC ( I think) did a whole special on people who enlisted to gain citizenship and how they got a bad deal because they were sent to Iraq. I couldn't watch it for very long because I became ill from the anti-war bias.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's true, but that's not the point of A.E.'s post. He was looking for a way to get a guarentee to a flight spot w/out having to worry about any other "unpleasantness" of reality. And I wasn't even going to get into the whole "you're an officer also" idea. D'oh! I just did.