• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which one of you wants to be the first to fly it?

ryan1234

You got to hand it to the guy - he's in a third world country, he wants to fly... so he builds an airplane (or somewhat of one). If he survives he'll probably keep testing and improving until he gets airborne. He certainly has balls.

One of problems he may have, may be the wave drag on the prop if it's actually turning at 4300rpms without a some type of reduction drive, that and what looks like an extreme forward CG, negative dihedral without a sufficient rudder...

hopefully he survives if he gets off the ground

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
If I get an email from him telling me he is going to be the next Curtis and he needs 5000 to invest in his company I'm going to be very angry.

(I hope he has good life insurance.)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if shock drag is even the first thing to worry about. Assuming I did my unit conversions right, the tip of that wooden prop is going to be going north of 800 knots if it is a 70 inch prop rotating at 4000rpm. I dropped out of aero engineering after a semester and a half, but dollars to donuts it can't structurally support that.

Further, what's up with the camber on that wing? And are those ailerons or flaps on the trailing edge?

ryan1234

And are those ailerons or flaps on the trailing edge?

My guess is some sort of flaperons.... which is oddly more wing root orientated, most of the home-builts generally try to move the control surfaces outboard and keep the roots stalling first via washout....

From my limited understanding, depending on the prop twist (and except for specially designed race, etc props) usually above .80 mach on the tips has a huge adverse effect on thrust.

Perhaps he needs one of these CVRs:
http://www.theonion.com/video/guatemalan-flights-datarecording-parrot-holds-clue,17785/

GroundPounder

I hope that he makes it, the guy seems to be quite industrious. I fear however that what ever the local equivalent of " Hey ya'll watch this " will be his last words.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I wonder if shock drag is even the first thing to worry about. Assuming I did my unit conversions right, the tip of that wooden prop

I read the thread before I watched the video, so I looked closely for a PSRU. It looks like he put one on there (you can see it between about 1:15-1:20). It doesn't just reduce the prop rpm but it also raises the prop centerline (the crankshaft of the upright engine would be too low).

My guess is some sort of flaperons.... which is oddly more wing root orientated, most of the home-builts generally try to move the control surfaces outboard and keep the roots stalling first via washout....

They're Junkers flaperons- even when the wing stalls the flaperons are flying in clean air so they maintain roll authority. His airplane has a "Hershey bar" wing planform which tends to stall root-first with little or no washout. (And it's easier to manufacture).

All pretty sensible design choices since his goal is to just get in the air (and then land).

I hope the dude survives his first test. A third world country needs more dudes like him...

Hear, hear!

@HAL Pilot, I think I'll let the builder fly it first :)

ryan1234

They're Junkers flaperons- even when the wing stalls the flaperons are flying in clean air so they maintain roll authority. His airplane has a "Hershey bar" wing planform which tends to stall root-first with little or no washout. (And it's easier to manufacture).

Ok, I see what you're saying - like the Kitfox.. makes sense...

The only other things I guess would be negative dihedral - but I suppose that would matter more once he is actually flying... as well as what looks like a very, very forward CG... depending on the tail design and arm... perhaps maybe conversion to a tailwheel? take away that free castoring nose wheel assembly.

It would be kinda cool to see the test flight.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Where's William Hung when you need him? He should be the first to fly it "...with no professional training".

ryan1234

So an update from our very determined friend. He has heart!! First test of the Kenyan flying machine: