• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

which is harder AFOQT or ASTB??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piperpilot2004

Hey everyone, I am basically new to this forum. Great site! Got a quick question, which test is harder, AFOQT or ASTB? I am a senior in high school, and would really like to start preparing for one of the tests. I am horrible at standardized tests, and am basing my decision which service to go to off of this. I know I am going to do poorly on these so want to know the easiest one and start preparing as early as possible. That will give me a few years to get ready... My major weakness is in math. I hear the AFOQT and AF flight class1 physicals suck, and the Navy, and Marine Corps is easier to get into. I had a SLIGHT learning disability when I was younger so thats the whole reason I am preparing earlier :confused: ... any help/opinions would be appreciated big time!! Thanks

p.s- sorry if this has been asked already-

SCUBA

Hands down the AFOQT is the harder test. 16 sections, math problems are a bit more complex, and just a plain long. It's kind of like an IQ test.

My only suggestion is to buy the 4-5 study guides so you have an idea of the type questions you will get and study your butt off.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Piperpilot2004 said:
Hey everyone, I am basically new to this forum. Great site! Got a quick question, which test is harder, AFOQT or ASTB? I am a senior in high school, and would really like to start preparing for one of the tests. I am horrible at standardized tests, and am basing my decision which service to go to off of this. I know I am going to do poorly on these so want to know the easiest one and start preparing as early as possible. That will give me a few years to get ready... My major weakness is in math. I hear the AFOQT and AF flight class1 physicals suck, and the Navy, and Marine Corps is easier to get into. I had a SLIGHT learning disability when I was younger so thats the whole reason I am preparing earlier :confused: ... any help/opinions would be appreciated big time!! Thanks

p.s- sorry if this has been asked already-
Yea, I have some advice.

1) STOP telling yourself that you're going to do poorly on the test (whenever you take it, and whichever you take). It's a pointless internal battle and only sets you up to fail.

2) Don't choose a service based on which test is easiest or physical is hardest. You'll either qualify for one or more of them or you won't. I say take both tests and see what your options are after. Have a plan for which service you want to join most, but have a backup plan too.

3) Take some math classes....now, not later....at your nearest community college. Tution is most likely free for dual enrollment students (you would fall into this category as a highschool senior).

4) In the future when desiring information from this group, it is generally best to ask specific questions rather than asking for general guidance.

5) Learn to use the Search Function. For a new guy on this forum, it will become your best friend. Most likely any question you have or think you might have has already been answered. If you need amplification on anything you find or if your question hasn't been addressed elsewhere, put it up on the board.

6) Sit back and enjoy your life. You can never go back.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
I have to agree, AFOQT is way harder then ASTB. However, I remember that those who didn't wish to be rated (pilot/navigator) could stop after the math/verbal section. After that, the fun starts.

Piperpilot2004

hey thanks everyone so much. This has been my big dream for as long as I can remember, and I going all the way with this. ATR Driver, Steve Wilkins, Venom-0...thanks for the responses its very much appreciated! I think I am going either Marines or Navy. I still dont know which one yet, I have to do more research. I really dont want to go to the AF though because of a couple of reasons...

Thanks again

peace

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
They made me take the AFOQT three times while I was waiting for API. IMO, it seems like it's harder solely because the lower half of your body goes numb from sitting in a chair for 4 hours. That, and oh by the way, both tests have nothing to do with your aptitude as an aviator. I have met dudes who graduated at the top of their class and barely scraped by with the minimums. Just take it, pass it, and move on.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't believe the AF physical is any harder. To the best of my knowledge, they are the same standards. I have taken flight physicals at AFBs from AF Flight Surgeons several times. They even use the same forms.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
wink said:
I don't believe the AF physical is any harder. To the best of my knowledge, they are the same standards. I have taken flight physicals at AFBs from AF Flight Surgeons several times. They even use the same forms.

Who's talking about physicals????AFOQT (Air Force Officer Qaulification Test) or something to that effect.

Mules, no you don't take the AFOQT at API.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
The original post mentioned physical tests as well...
While I have zero knowledge in this field (w00t being a lowly college student), from what I have seen the PFT scores from the Navy test is harder (PFT only).
1) the AF gives '~5 minutes' between segments
2) Perfect scores on the AF test are easier (ie ~9:30 vs. ~8:30 in the 1.5 mi)

As for the ASTB vs AFOQT, I have heard from friends that took both that the AFOQT is harder, and generally for the reasons mentioned above (4 damn long hours).

Anyways, good luck and don't let an IQ/SAT-like test stand in the way of your dreams.

Piperpilot2004

Thanks again everyone for the many responses. I was just curious what some people thought about that. Whatever service I decide to go to I'll study hard regardless what test I am going to take. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.