• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which helmet cam?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All, I have seen this topic brought up before, but wondered if anyone on the forum (bike or aviation) has a helmet cam that they recommend? I am looking at the ContourHD, seems like it has a good feature set and won't break the bank. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

John

OscarMyers

None
I just picked up the Tachyon XC. Things built like a S*@t Brickhouse. Waterproof down to 30 feet. Comes with a few mounting goodies. I picked it up a few bucks cheaper on Amazon along with the clamp on mount(sold separately). The base the camera comes with is compatible with any threaded camera mount. I attached a picture of the whole setup.

Attachments

• IMG00321-20101126-1209.jpg
    IMG00321-20101126-1209.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 63

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
yak and jetjockey, how's the playback on both of yours? Seems like there are newer HD models available also, would you have preferred an HD model? I saw the VIO a couple weeks ago profiled on Engadget, but I am trying to get one that is integrated in one piece.

Thanks for the replies.

John

yak52driver

Contributor
Playback is okay with my vio-sport, kind of clunky, though. I'd definitely go HD now that it is available. I have a different system mounted permanently in my Yak from datatoys. I don't think you'd want it, though, it required a fair amount of installation and wiring. It's not HD, but about double the quality of DVD.

http://www.datatoys.com/

Oh, and some airshow photographers I work with use something called a Herocam. Really good picture on that, it's HD, but too big to attach to my helmet when I fly because it hits the canopy. They've mounted it inside and outside my plane for some interesting video.

http://www.goprocamera.com/

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Webmaster,
I have the Contour. It's good to go and reasonably priced too.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Since when did P-3 'pukes' start wearing 'helmets' ... :):confused::eek:
Set Condition I Biotch! :)

Oooorrrr, with a cracked windshield (unless your VQ of course, then you will kick your copilot out and do the landing single piloted.... NATOPs is only advisory right?!?!... but I digress).

Unlike Fighter Attack Guys we of course have enough room in the flight station to bring someone to do the recording for us (cough, 3P!). Heck, you can do that, bring a harley, 30 cases of VB, a bomb bay full of rugs, your favorite oriental furniture, 25 cases of Rioja and a doppler well full of cohibas (NOTE: doppler well monster was not harmed during utilization of doppler well for storage purposes!).

Got a pointy nosed bubba that I was looking to get a xmas present for, luckily he doesn't browse the site. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Set Condition I Biotch! :)

Oooorrrr, with a cracked windshield (unless your VQ of course, then you will kick your copilot out and do the landing single piloted.... NATOPs is only advisory right?!?!... but I digress).

Unlike Fighter Attack Guys we of course have enough room in the flight station to bring someone to do the recording for us (cough, 3P!). Heck, you can do that, bring a harley, 30 cases of VB, a bomb bay full of rugs, your favorite oriental furniture, 25 cases of Rioja and a doppler well full of cohibas (NOTE: doppler well monster was not harmed during utilization of doppler well for storage purposes!).

Got a pointy nosed bubba that I was looking to get a xmas present for, luckily he doesn't browse the site. :D

Boy ... what a lot of hate & discontent ... but I DIGRESS ... :eek::eek:

For the record: I always wanted to wear my 'ATTACK-BUBBA' helmet in the B747 ...

But then, I always wanted to fly it from HNL - NRT @ 500' +/-, too ... :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Boy ... what a lot of hate & discontent ... but I DIGRESS ... :eek::eek:
Nah, no hate, no DIScontent... if that were the case I would have said that I could carry a plane full of these to squeeze...

limes.jpg

Ummm, squeezed limes, time for a Moscow Mule :D

10193.jpg

Flying Toaster

None
The Contour is pretty good, they actually have an aviation specific one which will connect to radios on the GA side of things. As Yak driver mentioned the "Go Pro HD Hero" is pretty good as well. If you watch closely at the camera's they use on the action reality type shows on Discovery and History they are quite often Go Pro's for the object mounted/close in shots. I had one of the older generation Go Pro's and the sound was awful due to wind noise, but supposedly they rectified it in the newer ones.

Go Pro Helmet-
http://www.goprocamera.com/products/hd-helmet-hero-camera.php

Contour "A/V-ator"-
http://www.lightsportgroup.com/video.html

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I've had the Contour HD1080P for about a year now. I like it, works well. It seems pretty durable...I've taken to the boat & I've used it numerous times during BFM sorties. I use it with an 8GB card and record at 720P, 60fps. At 1080P, you'll run out of battery life before you run out of memory (about an hour). I get around 2 hours of battery life recording at 720P, 30fps. It records in .mov so it doesn’t require any special software to edit if you choose not to. Two minutes at 720P, 60fps eats up around 90MB. Plug it into your USB port to charge & to access the folder on the memory card. Windows recognizes it as a “removable disk”… basically an external HD. It charges pretty quickly but I’ve never timed it. Mounting it to a helmet is fairly easy. The audio is ok…I haven’t used it outside but I believe one of the complaints is wind noise. The video is pretty good though you get some “fisheye” effect around the outer edges.

If you have any questions about it, let me know.