• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which comes first?

SJHipple

Hey everyone,

My question is this: Which comes first, TBS or flight physical? I have a problem that may disqualify me from flying, but I still want to give it a shot. However, I don't want to finish TBS, get disqualified after the fact and then get whatever MOS is leftover. I would prefer to try for flight school and if I'm disqualified, do my best in TBS to get a good MOS. I really don't want to just get stuck with whatever jobs are leftover, so if my physical is after TBS, I'll probably just go in as ground. Anyone know how this works?

Thanks
Seth

Crowbar

None
You get a flight physical before TBS to get an air contract (if you so choose). Then after TBS you get another before you start flying. Sometimes you get one while you are at TBS, too, just for good measure.

Raptor2216

If you apply for air contract, you have to have to do the flight physical before you get to TBS and then you have another flight physical right before you start flight school. If you don't mind me asking, what is your physical problem? You may want to talk to your OSO about it, i'm sure he can help you out.

SJHipple

P_ubhi18 said:
If you apply for air contract, you have to have to do the flight physical before you get to TBS and then you have another flight physical right before you start flight school. If you don't mind me asking, what is your physical problem? You may want to talk to your OSO about it, i'm sure he can help you out.

My problem is childhood epilepsy...I grew out of it when I was about 10. I think that if I'm going to get DQ'd because of it, it'll happen during the first physical before TBS.

So do all air candidates take flight physicals before they go to TBS or only PLC candidates?

Thanks for your help.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
SJHipple said:
My problem is childhood epilepsy...I grew out of it when I was about 10. I think that if I'm going to get DQ'd because of it, it'll happen during the first physical before TBS.

So do all air candidates take flight physicals before they go to TBS or only PLC candidates?

Thanks for your help.

ALL Air contracts need flight physicals...and that will happen when you submit your air contract before comissioning. You will probably be made to do one while AT TBS if they find it convenient. You will also do one when you get to Pensacola.

Raptor2216

SJHipple said:

Thanks for your help.

Epilepsy will DQ you for everything, not just flying. Either way, I think you may want to call a flight surgeon at a local naval base and ask directly before you even talk to your OSO about it. Check the NOMI website and see what they have to say about it. Goodluck.

SJHipple

P_ubhi18 said:
Epilepsy will DQ you for everything, not just flying. Either way, I think you may want to call a flight surgeon at a local naval base and ask directly before you even talk to your OSO about it. Check the NOMI website and see what they have to say about it. Goodluck.

Actually, I passed at MEPS. I think because it's been so long since I had problems. How would I get in touch with a flight surgeon?

Raptor2216

SJHipple said:
Actually, I passed at MEPS. I think because it's been so long since I had problems. How would I get in touch with a flight surgeon?

I'm going to mirimar on monday and i'll PM you the number for one of the doc's there. They are pretty helpful with things so i'm sure they can answer your question.

SJHipple

P_ubhi18 said:
I'm going to mirimar on monday and i'll PM you the number for one of the doc's there. They are pretty helpful with things so i'm sure they can answer your question.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Dude, if I was you, and I had an air contract ,and I had no effects of said "epilepsy" since before the age of 10, I would just drop it entirely. There is no point in bringing it up to the docs, unless there is documentation in your medical record that specifically points to it and its something that you cannot get around. There is a small amount of gamesmanship....