• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Branch Allows Its Officers to Fly the Most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Depends on what you mean by most.

Total hours, I would argue Army warrants.

Longevity, or for the most years actually being in a cockpit, the Air Force wins. Granted, some of those later years may only be one or two flights a month, but it beats no flying at all.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That is what I thought. Aren't Marine officers all rifleman first who go through infantry training after commissioning? And, can't Marine pilots be pulled at any time to lead a platoon on the ground, if needed?

That's not the reason. USMC just doesn't fly as much. Don't have the money, the hours, up airplanes...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Depends on what you mean by most.

Total hours, I would argue Army warrants.

Longevity, or for the most years actually being in a cockpit, the Air Force wins. Granted, some of those later years may only be one or two flights a month, but it beats no flying at all.

We've had guys on flying status in the Guard since the 80s.they're all retiring now. But they've been maintaining CMR for decades.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There was a GAO report on this a few years back. It was basically seat specific with Air Guard transport and refueler types racking up the most jet hours and Army Guard warrant helicopter pilots racking up the most rotary hours. In terms of simple numbers they guard helicopter WOs had more hours over the course of a 20 year career. But..l’d say this is already dated information. There isn’t a lot of money for hours and newer aircraft are far more expensive to operate so flight hours are down across the board.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Addition…this guy seems to have cracked the code!

If you want to fly, there is not a billet I know of that gets more hours over a sustained period of years than being a reserve instructor in the training command. There was 1 instructor at South Whiting with over 9,000; a couple more over 8,000, 5,000+ was not uncommon.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If you want to fly, there is not a billet I know of that gets more hours over a sustained period of years than being a reserve instructor in the training command. There was 1 instructor at South Whiting with over 9,000; a couple more over 8,000, 5,000+ was not uncommon.

Some of those old salt reserve T-34 IPs were magicians at getting the lightbulb to come on for us studs.

I flew all of my aero flights with a coast guard helo dude, and I just wasn't understanding the barrel roll, I kept turning it into a clover leaf. He incompleted me on the event, and had my onwing pair me up with this reserve IP for a Saturday flight.

After watching me do it once he said a couple of things and voila, fixed. Best part? It took less than 10 minutes on the first flight of an out and in. "So, what do you want for lunch? We've got the gas to fly down the beach and grab the best Crawfish Etouffee in Louisiana if you're up for it."

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
FWIW, I flew past my 59th birthday as a warrant officer in the Army National Guard. Not a lot of hours, but that was due to a 10 year break in service. There were only one or two years that I couldn't fly as much as I wanted to.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
That is what I thought. Aren't Marine officers all rifleman first who go through infantry training after commissioning? And, can't Marine pilots be pulled at any time to lead a platoon on the ground, if needed?

That's not the reason. USMC just doesn't fly as much. Don't have the money, the hours, up airplanes...

What current data are you guys basing your statements on?

So, do navy pilots basically stop flying once they hit O-6, unless they are a CAG?

I assume carrier XOs and COs don't fly at all? If so, why would anyone want to be a carrier CO as opposed to a CAG?

Status
Not open for further replies.