• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Academy?

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

I am aware that USNA grads can pick USN or USMC, but can all academies do this (Pick a different service that what they went to academy for). I ask this because I have read some other thread and people said to also apply to other academies(USMMA/USAFA) as well as USNA. Just wondering if I did get accepted to one of those other 2 if I could transfer to the Navy or Marines after graduation.
BTW, one more question, what is a Blue and Gold Officer?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
A very small number of graduates from each academy will chose to take a commission in another branch of the armed forces. I believe they usually have to have someone else from that service that wants to do the same thing ie. a cadet at USMA goes USN and a midshipman at USNA goes USMA. It is on a very limited basis, but every class has a couple of people that will do it. You should not go to a service academy with the intention to commission in to another branch, because there is a good chance this won't happen.

A blue and gold officer is a retired officer that is a USNA alumni. They interview you and help you along through the process of applying to the Naval Academy. Hope this helps!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The USMMA will allow you to commission into all of the five branches of the armed forces as well as other government agencies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Also, it should be noted that USMC is part of the Navy, which is why the Naval Academy graduates 2nd LT's in the Marine Corps.

Xmid got the idea right on B&G officers, but they are not always USNA alum or even retired officers; but somehow they are connected to and (generally do) have a good knowledge of the USNA admissions process. Some are parents of midshipmen, some are retired Navy (not necessarily USNA alum), etc.. You'll be told whose yours is during the admissions process. They also conduct an interview and submit it to USNA.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Yes, definitely check out USMMA. I had a friend go there and it sounded like a pretty good deal. It is also a little bit easier to get in to. If you are worried about not getting in, apply to NROTC also. If you still want USNA after a year reapply. We had a kid from Penn State in my company that had a year of NROTC.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
xmid said:
Yes, definitely check out USMMA. I had a friend go there and it sounded like a pretty good deal. It is also a little bit easier to get in to. If you are worried about not getting in, apply to NROTC also. If you still want USNA after a year reapply. We had a kid from Penn State in my company that had a year of NROTC.

Hell while you're looking at it, look at VMI, Citidel, Norwich, VT/TA&M Corps of Cadets. All are the same "Type" of commissioning program with a military background...(IMHO "academy" with out recognition except by own alums)

Also don't think that getting into NROTC is any easier. It's just a matter of slots availible, costs associated (CU, Boulder is the most expensive out-of-state, public school in the US and not as easy for the Navy to accept NROTC applications, as say in-state NROTC schools). Now, it doesn't require certain things like senate appointments but it's also a very different experience...but I won't get into that here...SEARCH "NROTC, USNA"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually ... if you can get an appointment to the US Merchant Marine Academy --- DO IT !!! One of the best kept secrets going ....

I had one ---- passed on it ---- BIG MISTAKE --- it wasn't "impressive" enough and I wanted to go to war --- I didn't know any better. It will give you more options and is a "real" education in all things mechanical and nautical.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a divo during my first tour who graduated from the Air Force Academy

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
Are there any USMMA grads on this forum? If so I have some questions for you.

Today's your lucky day, pal- ask away!

EDIT: Thanks for the comment, A4s! Kings Point may not be as well known and prestigious as the boat school, but you can't beat the opportunities after graduation.

luckechance

Not to steal sevenhelmet's thunder, but there are a few of us around these parts that would be more than willing to answer any questions you've got.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
USMMA and pilot slots

I have so friends here in milton who are kings point grads. I asked and yes it is true you can go to any service but you must be carefule if you want a pilot slot. They said last year there were only 8 navy pilot slots for usmma grads. Some years everyone who wanted them got them and some year (last year) many people who wanted them didnt get them.

skilax06md

dude

theres no question here... go to the naval academy.. if you wanna be a navy pilot, theres no question... i am a senior here and 270 of us picked up pilot.. (about 270 throughout the rest of the country will get it if you are not at the academy...)... we also had 70 nfo's... if you are serious about gettin into the community, then go the route that prepares you the best.. if you go USMA, you wont get it unless you are really lucky... USMMA... its possible, but you have to be **** hot... USAFA.. forget it.. you can be a chair force jockey all you want.. USNA is by far the best way to go.. plus we have 18 bars within 5 miles from the spot... (that being said prepare to put up with a lot of bull **** which is part of going to any academy...)

good luck,

SKILAX:D

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
skilax06md said:
theres no question here... go to the naval academy.. if you wanna be a navy pilot, theres no question... i am a senior here and 270 of us picked up pilot.. (about 270 throughout the rest of the country will get it if you are not at the academy...)... we also had 70 nfo's... if you are serious about gettin into the community, then go the route that prepares you the best.. if you go USMA, you wont get it unless you are really lucky... USMMA... its possible, but you have to be **** hot... USAFA.. forget it.. you can be a chair force jockey all you want.. USNA is by far the best way to go.. plus we have 18 bars within 5 miles from the spot... (that being said prepare to put up with a lot of bull **** which is part of going to any academy...)

good luck,

SKILAX:D

The KP guy i talked to said 10 slots were available. 17 people applied.

270 guys at USNA went pilot. About 1000 people graduate. Don't know how many wanted pilot though.

USNA: 18 bars within 5 miles...

USMMA: NYC...18 bars on one block....you do the math.

I hear both schools have hot girls and great food though.

At least at USNA people will know a) where you went to school and b) that it exists.