• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to retire on your military pension?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
A lot of states don't tax military retirement, so I wouldn't focus on only the no income tax states. Wisconsin definitely doesn't, but I won't see military retirement until Age 60. I also wouldn't want to anchor on commissary bennies or MTFs, but that's just me.

Even then, save for FL (tourists) and AK (oil) that can subsidize no income tax, the others (TN/WA/VT/etc) all make it up in various flavors of sales, personal property, property, etc or they just don't do shit like TN and road maintenance. No free lunch. There are outliers of NY/CA, but even TX is getting nuts. School tax and property tax combined in the Dallas suburbs gave me quite a shock when I was talking with a friend who moved there in the last 2 years, and they plan to leave.
Nevada does it primarily with tourist and gambling money.

And for those living partially off investments in addition to mil retirement pay, income tax may still bee a factor if there is non-Roth money.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I wasn't talking to the pussys who can't take two months of warm weather for a winter of blue skies and dry roads. Tornado free, hurricane free, Tidal flood free. Ice storm free.
You forget…I flew the air conditioner free Griz-O-Copter across the Ditat Deus State. From Blyth to Buckeye is was just really hot. Some jerk at Buckeye left a rolling ladder in front of the fuel tanks so I had to land, move the ladder, lift the Enstrom on the wheels, and push it into place to fuel up. That made it really, really hot. From there to Tucson it got really, really, really hot but on the way I had to make a precautionary landing (door ajar) in a field near Eloy where I immediately relearned everything I needed to know about brown out conditions. By the time I fixed the door it was feeakin’ hot and when I finally landed at Tucson it was just fucking hot.

The next day was much better. The flight from Tucson to Cochise was just really hot but the lung-clogging forest fire smoke made it a kind of special hot. So yeah…Arizona can be hot AF!

exNavyOffRec

Very true, like anything it’ll vary on personal preference. I know a few guys in SE Asia that have absolute mansions on only their retirement. They also are well versed in the local language which definitely helped.
I know several that retired in various countries around there as well, the thing they all have in common is they either are or are married to a person who is from there or has family from there. A past coworker would go to PI once or twice a year to visit the in-laws but now his wife has told her family no more due to the danger over there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot of states don't tax military retirement, so I wouldn't focus on only the no income tax states. Wisconsin definitely doesn't, but I won't see military retirement until Age 60. I also wouldn't want to anchor on commissary bennies or MTFs, but that's just me.

Even then, save for FL (tourists) and AK (oil) that can subsidize no income tax, the others (TN/WA/VT/etc) all make it up in various flavors of sales, personal property, property, etc or they just don't do shit like TN and road maintenance. No free lunch. There are outliers of NY/CA, but even TX is getting nuts. School tax and property tax combined in the Dallas suburbs gave me quite a shock when I was talking with a friend who moved there in the last 2 years, and they plan to leave.
Most of you will retire with very comfortable middle class incomes. The idea that anyone would consider exchange/commissary or MTF access to save a few pennies is fucking insane. Pick someplace that offers things you will enjoy doing in retirement - not someplace that offers you a K-Mart shopping experience.

exNavyOffRec

Most of you will retire with very comfortable middle class incomes. The idea that anyone would consider exchange/commissary or MTF access to save a few pennies is fucking insane. Pick someplace that offers things you will enjoy doing in retirement - not someplace that offers you a K-Mart shopping experience.
I enjoy that K-Mart experience, you don't know how much I miss that 82 year old woman letting us know about the specials :D

In all seriousness for everyday items I would lose any savings buying from the exchange/commissary just on gas prices, there have been a few items where it would save me money but then I don't pick those items up until I am going to be around that area for other reasons.

So in my experience I would also not base my final retirement place on being near MTF/Exchange/Commissary, I just don't see the value.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pensacola (in particular East Hill) is a place we are definitely considering - probably #2 on our list right now: beautiful beaches, fresh seafood, warm climate, reasonable real estate prices, plenty of SEC championship caliber college football nearby and the Blue Wahoos AA baseball stadium in town with the World Champion Atlanta Braves a short 5 hour drive away. Finally, a laid back lifestyle - or as Kenny Chesney would say, "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems."

Having just done a vacation in Pensacola last year I am conflicted on whether or not to keep that on my possible retirement list. It was a bit more developed than when I had last lived there but much of the infrastructure hadn't kept up, it seemed a lot more crowded than I remember along with the attendant traffic. And while there was stuff to do the choices were somewhat limited at the same time, I love the beach but need a little more than that to fill my time in retirement.

There is also the issue of hurricanes, not only the storms themselves and the possibility they could literally sink your retirement plans but also their effect on insurance and other things necessary to live there. At least a quarter of the folks I know who live or own a house in Florida have either had their house destroyed or seriously damaged by a hurricane in the last decade. The total isn't a large number of folks but still a percentage that gives me pause.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
And consider the impact on diversity. When I first joined I got my commissary groceries bagged by a few elderly German and Japanese war birds who were rapidly being replaced by Korean War brides. Over time my bags were admirably filled by Vietnamese war brides (and their families) but I don’t see the next generation of CENTCOM war brides coming on line! What now? Am I expected to have some block-headed child dependent bag my groceries? There is some hope that maybe, just maybe there might be a rise in Ukrainian and Russian war brides but not before I’m out the door…so @Brett327 is right…why bother?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Yeah unless you're a retired 30 year MCPO/SCPO/CAPT who never got another job, trying to stretch every dollar with those bennies just doesn't track to me. Even a modest gig after retirement to supplement income would set people up well. The days of just doing 20 and sitting on a beach are long gone, unless you move to the Philippines.

Nevada does it primarily with tourist and gambling money.

And for those living partially off investments in addition to mil retirement pay, income tax may still bee a factor if there is non-Roth money.

Are all those rentals in NV? If not, some states might tax that as income generated in their state and hit you for state taxes. Granted, you'd be showing a paper loss with deprecation, maybe, but I'm not smart enough on that stuff yet. Also, AZ/NV scares me for water availability long term, but that's another thing entirely.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, AZ/NV scares me for water availability long term, but that's another thing entirely.
Don't forget SOCAL. In some ways they are worse off than AZ and NV. Many years ago after a drought CA AZ and NV got together to plan water use for the future. Only AZ and NV took legislative and regulatory action based on those meetings. Sacramento, being in NOCAL, and, well, being the CA assembly, did nothing. That is in part why you see bans on certain water use in CA and not AZ and NV. It isn't because they are taking it more serious than NV. It is because it is more serious.

taxi1

pilot
I could live in Ridgecrest and have some sort of part time gig at China Lake and be happy. The desert grows on you, and the high Sierras are spectacular. Not too far from world class skiing at mammoth. Infinite desert and old ghost towns to go exploring around. A neat area.