• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live off-base in P-cola

ripsaw

I just finished API, and if single you should go for the high rises in Perdido. It is in the wrong direction from the nightlife but quiet is what you want if you plan on finishing API. Plus they're super nice and on the water.

angelsOfire

Just a few quick questions for anyone wanting to offer advice. I'm finishing up TBS in Quantico, and will have to do IFS here so that more or less puts me down in Pensecola sometime around the start of 2010. I know whatever gouge I get now will be out dated by then, but is it a requirement to live in the BOQ for API? I've read some things about getting "stamps" etc. and was just curious as to the current policies. Also, does it matter if your Marine or Navy, I would assume it's the same for both.

srqwho

pilot
Just a few quick questions for anyone wanting to offer advice. I'm finishing up TBS in Quantico, and will have to do IFS here so that more or less puts me down in Pensecola sometime around the start of 2010. I know whatever gouge I get now will be out dated by then, but is it a requirement to live in the BOQ for API? I've read some things about getting "stamps" etc. and was just curious as to the current policies. Also, does it matter if your Marine or Navy, I would assume it's the same for both.

It's not a requirement right now... at least it wasn't a few weeks ago. You just to head on over to the BOQ and they stamp your BAH request form and you turn that in during your PSD check-in brief. Having said that, and I don't want to spread bad gouge, but the latest we heard down here was that anybody going to Whiting for primary is required to live on base if single. I have asked the people in PSD and they have confirmed this, but a buddy of mine has said that the married SNAs don't have to.

Check the high rises on perdido key. You can live like a king out there for not a lot of money.

A few of my buddies live out there and their place is UNREAL. I'm not sure of their rent, but after utilities it's not much. They are on the 7th floor and the place is amazing. But, like others have said it's a drive to get to most things other than the beach.

If you're married heading down here you'll most likely (?) get follow-on orders to Whiting for primary. If that's the case it cuts down on the moving if you get a place in between Pcola and Whiting (Milton). I live in Governors Gate and like the location a lot and the units are nice (at least mine is). It's about 20 min or so to Pcola and 25-30 to Whiting.

Or make sure your renters insurance covers all natural disaster damage... flood, wind, fire, locusts etc etc...

Getting renters insurance was super easy and cheap through USAA. I think you need to have a checking account with them in order to get it, but I'm not 100% on that. The phone call took 15 min and the people at USAA are always awesome to deal with. Make sure to get coverage that includes damage caused by Ensigns... they swarm pretty fierce down here.

angelsOfire

Thats about what I expected, thanks for the gouge. I do have dogs so that is a consideration. I'm sure I'll get more information as the date approaches, I've still gotta do IFS up here in Quantico. So I won't actually get down there until around Dec. or Jan.

Grumman10

ENS USN
Ive noticed that married studs are more apt to get certain locations (IFS in milton/Primary in milton). Can anyone explain why this is the case? Also, since I am married and will have to go through IFS, would it make more sense to get a place north of p'cola if most of my traveling for the year (assuming I get milton for primary) will be to milton? Is northern p'cola a nice place to live? srq it sounds like you made out pretty well in this area, what are your thoughts?

d3west86

Married SNA's receive follow-on orders to Whiting probably because the Navy doesn't want to pay for an extra PCS move (with dependent) to Corpus. Instead the move to Pensacola is considered a permanent one for married SNA's as opposed to their unmarried counterparts who generally sent to Corpus for primary. With this in mind, my wife and I found a place in Milton 35 minutes from NASP and 15 to Whiting.

IFS is a different story. The three locations are Mobile, Bay Minette, and Milton. Although I've heard that Skywarrior is moving to P'cola, which will be nice. Nevertheless, married SNA's are not guaranteed a certain location.

sfrankie08

pilot
Yeah don't stay in the BOQ while they aren't bad, you can find a place out the back gate that is bigger and cheaper. I left Pensacola about 2 weeks ago and there were PLENTY of places in the neighborhood right outside the backgate for reasonable prices (ranging from $900 to $1400). I was there for 7 months and those 6 months where all I was doing was going into work for 15 minutes to muster, I appreciated only having a 10 min drive. It was also plenty quiet in the neighborhood to study for API.

Grumman10

ENS USN
d3, thanks for the input. Would it make sense then, if a stud selects jets out of whiting, will they most likely class up at meridian rather than kingsville to save the money of sending a family 3X the distance? Obviously it's a numbers thing and my wife and I shouldnt be planning on any 1 location. We're just trying to get an idea of what to expect. And yes, I know, always expect the unexpected and dont plan too much as things always change.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Married SNA's receive follow-on orders to Whiting probably because the Navy doesn't want to pay for an extra PCS move (with dependent) to Corpus. Instead the move to Pensacola is considered a permanent one for married SNA's as opposed to their unmarried counterparts who generally sent to Corpus for primary. With this in mind, my wife and I found a place in Milton 35 minutes from NASP and 15 to Whiting.

IFS is a different story. The three locations are Mobile, Bay Minette, and Milton. Although I've heard that Skywarrior is moving to P'cola, which will be nice. Nevertheless, married SNA's are not guaranteed a certain location.

Though the IFS office will work with you on a location if you have extenuating circumstances. A guy in my primary class worked with them to do IFS at Pcola (I think, or maybe Milton, somewhere close) since his wife was going to give birth at any moment and he needed to be close in case she went into labor.