• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live off-base in P-cola

schnabdt

I'm reporting here soon for flight school and I'm trying to do some research on housing. I didn't see a thread on here for suggestions on where to live.

I am looking to be about 15 minutes away from the gate (including traffic) and live in a safe area that is moderately or low priced (like 500/person).

What towns would you suggest that would be reasonably quiet to get studying and sleep but close enough to the nightlife to enjoy the weekends? Thanks for your help!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, come on...your search-fu is weak. Try "Pensacola apartments" and you get this. Chock-full of salty advice. Not to mention the "houses for sale or rent" thread.

schnabdt

You are absolutely right, I am new to the forum thing and I just looked through the API section and didn't find any current posts. I didn't know I could search every thread until now. Thanks for the help!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're looking for apartments/condos that are close Countrywood and Snug Harbour out the back gate are good options. Pretty decent rent for nice places and really short commutes. A lot of JOs live in both. Only downside is you're close to base and Walmart/Target but not much else.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The apartments are not your only option. Start looking at rental houses. There's dozens to choose from all over town, you'll probably get bigger and better digs than you would in the Ensign Ghetto apartments, and most of them are owned by current or retired military. These aren't crappy rental houses, either - the market being what it is, plenty of instructors have had to PCS but couldn't or didn't want to sell. They also understand how it is being a flight student and probbaly won't give you hearburn over moving suddenly.

You may not have to find a roommate, either; as ensigns come and go in the Program, you can find yourself a house in need of another roommate very easily. Ends up costing you a lot less than an apt, plus you'll probably inherit a lot of good gouge, too.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Check the high rises on perdido key. You can live like a king out there for not a lot of money.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Get out of the back-gate-ensign-housing rut and live downtown. You'll be 15 minutes to base, 15 to the beach, walk to all the good bars on Palafox.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I live in a house and definitely prefer it over an apartment. So much more room .

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on what you're looking for. Like being on the beach? Look for a condo on Perdido Key, it's an awesome beach, and only 10-15mins from base. Only downside is it's 20-25mins from downtown Pensacola, and there's not much else on Perdido besides the beach. Like being downtown near most of the bars? There are plenty of houses/apartments downtown. Downside, you have to drive to the beach. Just so you have an idea of how much you might pay: I have two roommates in a 3 bedroom condo right on the beach in Peridido. We each pay $600. I have a couple of friends who rent a two bedroom right in the center of downtown. They also pay $600 each. It's incredibly easy to find places. A good place to start is pensacolamls.com They have listings of available places by neighborhood. Try Southwest Pensacola and Perdido Key for places outside the back gate, and downtown Pensacola for places in the city.

schnabdt

All very helpful responses so thank you. I have a lot of research to do. I have heard of a few websites to use but does anyone have any other suggestions of ones they used for houses/apartments?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something to keep in mind if you have nice stuff: check the inundation maps for Escambia County and be sure to at LEAST stay out of the storm surge of a Category 3 hurricane. Perdido got virtually wiped out, and downtown flooded in Hurricane Ivan. You have been warned.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Or make sure your renters insurance covers all natural disaster damage... flood, wind, fire, locusts etc etc...

If you do that and take pictures of everything and their serial numbers, then you have nothing to worry about when you get the notice to hurrevac...Which will usually come after the command has sucked one thumb and sat on the other while making the decision to stay or go, and by then it's too late to pack up all your valuable stuff. Grab your dog and your bolt bag and get outta dodge.

You can always replace stuff.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can always replace stuff.
True, but better not to lose it in the first place, or come back to having to rip out everything below waist level, including drywall, carpet, wiring, etc. Saw that at a squadron mate's house on Garcon Point after Ivan. Mold sucks. Living in mold sucks more.

Yes, stuff's just stuff in the larger scheme of things. But I LIKE my stuff. :)