• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live in P'cola??

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
I am not very familiar with pensacola, but will be reporting at the end of the year. I need a little gouge on where to look for a place. I am married so I will live off base. Is it smarter to live closer to NAS or Whiting?

Thanks in Advance,

OC Herndon

gaetabob

pilot
depends on what you're training for. If you're in the NFO pipeline, try looking around Perdido Key. If you're SNA pipeline and have follow-on to Whiting, then I'd check around Governor's Gate (about half way between NAS Pensacola and NAS Whiting). Hope that helps get ya started...

p.s. just saw your avitar says sna select...but for anyone else reading this...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The question (and variations) have been asked and answered many, many times. Go searchy, young warrior.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most married OC's get MILTON. Look for a place close to I-10.

-ea6bflyr ;)

themick7

P'Cola

First I would ask if you are prior enlisted through the STA21 program. If you are prior enlisted I would find the nicest place I could find in Perdido Key or on the Beach somewhere, because you are going to get per diem and you have to move anyway in order to get per diem. I would look for a place that is already furnished and leave my goods in storage until I moved to PACE or Milton while attending NAS Pensacola. The reason I say this is because, if you get per diem and you do not move, they will take the per diem back. Some people say, well I do not want to move so I will live in the middle and not draw per diem. In my opinion, wrong move. I say this because I drew 19,000 dollars in per diem while I was here 99 dollars per day. Keep all of your rental receipts and do not sign a clause that states that you cannot move to Whiting or the local area in the military clause. There are some of these clauses out here and you do not want to make that mistake of signing your military rights away and have to be stuck with a place.

Only a suggestion and my opinion, but I pocketed all of the money and am sending my wife to college on it.

BourneID

pilot
First I would ask if you are prior enlisted through the STA21 program. If you are prior enlisted I would find the nicest place I could find in Perdido Key or on the Beach somewhere, because you are going to get per diem and you have to move anyway in order to get per diem. I would look for a place that is already furnished and leave my goods in storage until I moved to PACE or Milton while attending NAS Pensacola. The reason I say this is because, if you get per diem and you do not move, they will take the per diem back. Some people say, well I do not want to move so I will live in the middle and not draw per diem. In my opinion, wrong move. I say this because I drew 19,000 dollars in per diem while I was here 99 dollars per day. Keep all of your rental receipts and do not sign a clause that states that you cannot move to Whiting or the local area in the military clause. There are some of these clauses out here and you do not want to make that mistake of signing your military rights away and have to be stuck with a place.

Only a suggestion and my opinion, but I pocketed all of the money and am sending my wife to college on it.

Mick is right, however if you do this, and your wife moves with you, do not take the advanced dependent DLA, and do not update your page 2 with your Pensacola Address for your Dependants. I did both not realizing I was authorized per diem, essentially screwing myself out of several months of free rent. I don't know what other guidance I could add to this, but someone mentioned Governor's Gate which is where I live now, and its nice especially for the family.

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
First off. I am a prior enlisted STA-21 student. How difficult is this to accomplish? How often do you have to move? Then once in primary, do I just get a house near Whiting? Any amplifying info would be greatly appreciated..