• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live in Meridian?

skywiz

For anyone that lives in Meridian, where do most people live?

I may be going there in a few months. Looking to rent a house in a nice/decent neighborhood.

Thanks,
SW

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I would live in Mobile and commute. There's stuff to do there.
:)
If it is a few months off I would actually just hold your horses. There is high turnover there, and what's available in a few months might be vastly different from what you would see now.

outlawz2323

I am actually moving to meridian in a couple of weeks and have no idea where to live....anybody have any suggestions??

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Call the base housing office. They can send you a long list of places for rent/sale. I recommend you find some buddies and rent a house. You can bank a lot of money.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Base housing does keep a pretty darn good list. Thats what I (and most people) used. Be extra careful in Dalewood. A lot of the houses I looked at were water damaged from the storms. When it is cold (like now) it is harder to smell the nastiness that lies below.

You'll have to make your own judgement about Dalewood vs. Town. My feeling was it was totally awesome to have friends at Dalewood because that place is a lot of fun with the right peeps. But it is a LONG way to get to town. Not that there is much there....I'm just saying. Any shopping spree turns into a big deal because of the transit time. Both are about equal distance to base. Also, if you don't have GPS yet step up to 2008 and get one. If I had one when I was looking at houses I could have saved HOURS of time. No joke at all. There are a ton of streets that aren't marked very well, and Meridian has a lot of streets that share a name.

I have some of the funniest stories from house hunting there....dead birds in kitchens...a hobo living in an attic...a house "immediately available" that lacked windows or closing doors....fun stuff.

FLY_USMC

pilot
If you don't have a boat or don't plan on getting one, I wouldn't live at Dalewood. BUT, I loved Dalewood because I was closer to the flightline than ANYONE living on North Hills. It was 11 minutes from me getting in my car to me getting out of my car at the squadron. You can have a party and be loud and let your dog crap in the neighbors lawn and shoot squirrels with your .22 and nobody at Dalewood cares. Honestly, if my wife and I had to do it over again, we'd live off of North Hills somewhere, closer to town, fairly close to base. But I loved our house at Dalewood, but be careful, or house which was nice was surrounded by dumps, you never know until you check it out.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
...party and be loud and let your dog crap in the neighbors lawn and shoot squirrels with your .22 and nobody at Dalewood cares....

Is that why those guys in the lifted pickup came by when we were drinking on the porch and said "I'll keel ya'll dern yanks!"???

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
I just moved here and did the house hunting song and dance over the course of 3 days....
I wouldnt sign anything in this town until you look at it!!!
Out of the ~50 placed I looked at (houses only) 48 of them were "recent remodeled/rehab ect." A water damaged 50 year old house is not like new with economy carpeting/a fresh coat of white paint. Well.. I dunno how they do it in the south, but there not fooling this yankee. Call the realtors and let them do some work for you... there is ALOT for sale here right now... the place I got was on the market for a while, and insted of continuing to lose money on the place, we are renting it for a year. Yes renting in like throwing your money into a burning fire, but do you really want to have to worry about your shanty back in Mississippi when you are working 16 hours a day after getting to your fleet squadron... I didnt

disclaimer: I have never been in a fleet squadron, so the 16 hours is hersay(which I believe to be true).. please dont hurt me

Raptor2216

And I thank you for doing all the work man. I definitely owe you some some beer. Can't wait to see the place and i'm hoping that lake is good for some swimming in the summer.

I just moved here and did the house hunting song and dance over the course of 3 days....
I wouldnt sign anything in this town until you look at it!!!
Out of the ~50 placed I looked at (houses only) 48 of them were "recent remodeled/rehab ect." A water damaged 50 year old house is not like new with economy carpeting/a fresh coat of white paint. Well.. I dunno how they do it in the south, but there not fooling this yankee. Call the realtors and let them do some work for you... there is ALOT for sale here right now... the place I got was on the market for a while, and insted of continuing to lose money on the place, we are renting it for a year. Yes renting in like throwing your money into a burning fire, but do you really want to have to worry about your shanty back in Mississippi when you are working 16 hours a day after getting to your fleet squadron... I didnt

disclaimer: I have never been in a fleet squadron, so the 16 hours is hersay(which I believe to be true).. please dont hurt me

FLY_USMC

pilot
Is that why those guys in the lifted pickup came by when we were drinking on the porch and said "I'll keel ya'll dern yanks!"???
Yeah that was them, and their stupid retarded nephew who kept playing that damn banjo!!

How's Whidbey? PM me with all your nonsense:)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Also, if you don't have GPS yet step up to 2008 and get one. If I had one when I was looking at houses I could have saved HOURS of time. No joke at all. There are a ton of streets that aren't marked very well, and Meridian has a lot of streets that share a name.

I have some of the funniest stories from house hunting there....dead birds in kitchens...a hobo living in an attic...a house "immediately available" that lacked windows or closing doors....fun stuff.
2nd that on the GPS! We used it and it made finding everything EASY. Househunting with my wife lasted 6 hours instead of 2 days!

Chickenhawk7782

pilot
If you're looking for a house to rent, I would recommend the North Hills area. It's close enough to town but still only 15-20 minutes to the flightline.

If you're willing to go for an apartment, the majority of students seem to live at either Northwoods or the Woodlands. I lived at Northwoods for six months and thought it was fine. I moved because my buddy owned a house so I moved in with him. Northwoods and Woodlands are right next to each other, and are about the closest thing to college style apartments that Meridian has. They're basically the same apartments, but Woodlands is newer and I think more expensive. I would stay away from pretty much any other apartment complex around there.

FLY_USMC

pilot
"Students" live at Northwoods or the Woodlands, the majority of them do not. If you're smart and single, get a big fat pad and split it with your buddies.

TBone

pilot
Just finished up in Meridian a few months ago and lived at the Woodlands on 39N which is closer to town and shopping. They've got a nice pool and it's reasonably priced. We used to have a lot of fun visiting the guys that lived up on the lake though. So, if you've got a boat or plan on getting one check out those places on Dalewood.

Here's their site with the apartments they still have available:

http://www.heritageproperties.com/ On the left hand side enter state and city and it will show up.