• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live during API and Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaver

Can anyone suggest a good place to live between Pensacola and whiting? I'll be there for a while since I'm going through primary in Whiting.

Thanks

fnewton

If you don't have to stay in the BOQ Colonial Village at Oakleigh is a nice place.. My wife and I live here and we pay 795 for a 2bdrm/2bath. Really upscale and is the half way point between P-cola and Milton. Lotta hot UWF students that live here and like going to the pool.
angel_125.gif
angel_125.gif

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
When I chose, I just did the math.

When deciding, I figured I'd do 4-5 weeks of IFS at Eglin AFB, 6 weeks in API in Pensacola, almost 6 months of Primary/Intermediate (combined now I guess) at Whiting and possibly another 6/7 months at Whiting if I go helos.

Needless to say, I chose Milton area. I live in Avalon Estates which is just off of Avalon BLVD, about halfway between I-10 and the City of Milton.

It takes me about 1 hour to get to Eglin AFB (which sucks). About 40 mins to get to NAS Pensacola (which sucks). About 15-10 mins to get to Whiting Field.

I'm in the Coast Guard and married with 2 kids.

Fortunately, Whiting Pines (Navy housing in Milton) had no availability for 3 bedroom house. Don't get me wrong, they're nice, there's a mini mart, pool, kid's splash pool, etc, but, eh, half the units still haven't been remodeled.

If you're in the Navy and married, pretty sure you have to check with Housing before obtaining civilian residence.

If you're single, no clue. But as someone mentioned, the rumors are the BOQ is way low on occupancy. If that's the case, odds are that any single incomming personnel will have to live in the BOQ until occupancy is reached.

A good place to look for available houses for rent is http://www.pensacolamls.com/ - just click on PROPERTY -> click the area(s) your interested and hit GO -> click RENTALS -> and select your criteria. Pretty sure there are no apartment listings on there.

I was happy with what we got. The house we're renting had pictures of outside and inside the house. We have about 1600 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, dining room, living room, kitchen, breakfast area, about 1 acre, quite 'hood for $875. Electrcity is about $140 a month (our AC is on quite a bit) and water is like $25. I'm an O-3E so it ain't too bad.

Anyway, good luck. :)

fnewton

I've got a few buddies that are NFOs and live here in Colonial Village...It's about a 25 minute drive to NAS P-cola from here. But, the last response is right, if you are single you will be living in the BOQ.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Living in the Q for API and Primary in P-cola? I thought we could get our own place there. I won't have to go to Whiting so I thought I could snag my own place. How do I find out whether I have to live in the Q. Let me know because the movers are coming to grab my trash in a couple days and if I have to live in the Q, I have to send the stuff to NTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.