• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHERE TO LIVE AT TBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Williamson

I heard there are a ton of waiting lists for apartments down there so when would be the best time (soonest) that one should start looking at being added? When should one start looking for an apartment?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
The real gouge is that you can live on base, but you will probably have to just show up at the base housing office and ask for a house the day you want to move in. This seems to not be a problem for most people, but my wife and I are too "type A" to count on the variable factors that are a part of that equation to work out. Will there be housing? What if the office closes early that day? etc.

Williamson-- Personally me and my wife started looking for housing in July, when we knew that we had an early september report date. Probably could have waited longer but it was one less thing to worry about. We live at the point at stafford apartments. It's a nice devolopment with a nice distance from base. Nice but fairly pricey. You know who I am don't you?

mrssgt2001

TBS IS A RUMOR MILL, verify everything you hear.

Married LTs can live in base housing, but it's a drive from Camp Barrett. If you want to live close, live off base: Sky Terrace, Point of Stafford, Aquia Terrace, dh and I lived in Villages of Aquia. There are a lot of apt complexes down there.

To find a place to live: BE RESOURCEFUL. Go online and search for apartments in that area. That's what I did. Yellowbook.com, or google. Get their location and phone # and use mapquest or randmcnally.com to see where they are in relation to Quantico. Call them for availability/info. Good luck to those spouses wanting to find work--it's tough. All I could do was temp work/waitressing (and yes, I have my bachelors too). They'll have better luck closer to DC, but the drive is bad on I-95, (only 3 lanes). Fredericksburg is rather far, although I knew of people who lived there and drove (but again, the time factor). You'll probably want to live close b/c you have some God-awful hours to keep. Expect to sleep in your barracks room occasionally for those early mornings/late nights.

Single LTs MUST live in the barracks. Unaccompanied married LTs MUST live in the barracks. It sucks, but that's part of what makes it so memorable (or forgettable!).

Married LTs: encourage your wife to go to the Marine LINKS orientation for spouses--it will save you A LOT of headaches down the road, and there is a lot of info she needs to know! I'm currently a LINKS Mentor, and I love to share my knowledge w/ the other wives. I'm all for strengthing marriages and families, and that's what LINKS helps to do. I'm sure they will mention it in the TBS Spouse Orientation after you class up. It will keep her happier while you can't be there to show/teach her yourself. Plus it gives her a chance to network w/ other wives--especially the wives of prior-enlisted Marines. The wives usually are better informed than the TBS LTs! Ask my LT!

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Just to clarify a few things, Unaccompanied LT's do indeed rate BAH. For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, working with admin at Camp Barrett is a total pain in the ass. Hopefully you will have a good company gunny who will push stuff through for you. I would always have to submit my paperwork two or three times and finally end up going to the gunny to get anything done with the admin section. Be sure you keep copies of all your PAR's.
Also, Fredericksburg is not that far away. I lived there. It took me a grand total of thirty five minutes to wake up, throw on my cammies, kiss my wife goodbye, drive to Camp Barrett, and run up to the BOQ.
As MRSGT stated, LINKS is highly reccomended.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Taxman2A said:
G.O. Bachelors live in the barracks just like a single Lt. I'm not sure if they rate BAH for their families, but I vaguely remember us being told that they don't-- Not 100% sure on that one though.
You absolutely rate BAH as a GO Bach. If anyone gives you grief show them your morgage or lease where she is staying. Good idea leaving your wife, wish I had. I lived in Sunningdale Meadows. Not bad at all. Don't live East of 95 and definately live in Sky Terrace if you aren't prior otherwise you'll make too much money. Questions contact Century 21 Team Realesate in Fredericksburg, VA. Enjoy TBS most of you will never be that miserable again.
S/F

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
stevew said:
Guys leave their wives for an entire 6 months of TBS? Is that common?
They do if they're smart. You can leave your wife where she is if she has a good job; my wifemade $27p/hr and worked about 32hrs a week. Hard to find that in Stafford county. You would be drawing BAH too while living in the Q not spending much unless you go out to eat with the single guys or drink at the Hawkins room every night. You can buy a new pistol with that money. This is also a good idea if you want to be competative in TBS, and you do. If you live in the Q you WILL do better on everything from test to peer evals, which can be icing on the cake. Finish as high as possible even if you are a 7599 because for us it's really not if but when you pick up major and you don't want to wait around forever to pin on 0-4 after you've been selected for it. You want to get promoted on your B billet and head back to the fleet as a major. If that sounds a bit beyond me I am just telling you what a few smart career-minded O-3's have told me along the way. Bottom line TBS is like "size".... it does matter, in spite of what she tells you, and it feels good your whole life to know you're better than just "average".

Spin

SNA in Meridian
The Point at Stafford has nice apts. I'm there now ... a little pricey but very nice.

Peace,

-Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.