• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live around MCAS New River.

MarineT

From what I've heard, you don't actually want to live in Jacksonville, N.C.. You want (if you can) to live somewhere around it or to the south. What are the names of different towns/communities that are great for a family to live in?

phrogpilot73

From what I've heard, you don't actually want to live in Jacksonville, N.C.. You want (if you can) to live somewhere around it or to the south. What are the names of different towns/communities that are great for a family to live in?
I lived in Jacksonville (Mallard Creek to be specific), and I didn't think it was that bad. Took me about 45 minutes to get to Wilmington on the weekends, and I could sleep much later during the week than the guys who lived in Wilmington. If I wasn't going to live in J-action-ville, and was headed to the River? I'd probably live in Sneads Ferry, Hampstead, or Surf City.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
There are nice communities at the north end of Western Boulevard in Jacksonville which are pretty popular among the pilots. The Jacksonville commons is a pretty nice neighborhood too, and at least living in Jacksonville you're five minutes from restaurants and shops. The main benefit to living south of New River, I think, is to cut 15-20 minutes off the drive to Wilmington.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Being south of New River also cuts your commute to the beach.

Married? Lejuene base housing (not MCAS). Or, Williamsburg Plantation on Gum Branch--why not, all the other married officers live there!

Actually Sneads Ferry's treated me pretty well. My subdivision has a pool, a boat ramp, club house, dock, etc. Quick walk to the river, 5-10 min from the beach.

Single? Go Buffett-style and rent a beach condo in Topsail Island/Surf City, or live in Wilmington, either downtown or near Wrightsville Beach.