• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to get a good Philly Cheese Steak in Pcola?

FlyingSquidz

Hip Pocket serves some weird chewy meat that is not even sliced thin. Tastes horrible also.

Wing n a Prayer serves a 'way overpriced' sub ($7.47) that is rather small and isn't all that good .

Right now Arby's has the best one on my list (so sad).

Any recommendations?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a place on Creighton across from Stalings barber shop.. It is between 9 mile and scenic on the north side in a shity little strip mall.

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
There is a place on Creighton across from Stalings barber shop.. It is between 9 mile and scenic on the north side in a shity little strip mall.

Between 9th and Scenic Hwy, in the same strip as Pizza Hut. Its ok. But I'm no connoisseur

vtpix03

Cobra Wife
There is a place called Jersey Mikes in Pace near the Target and Wal-Mart. It wasn't bad, but it is a bit of a drive from Pcola.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
There is Becky's Philly-ing Station that is right outside the front gate of NASP. I have never been there, but I have heard good things. And there is a place called Philly-something or other that is on creighton.

But for me I used to work at a cheesesteak place back in philly over the summer, and I don't even bother looking for anything close to what I used to make. First off, no amoroso rolls and no alkaline skukill river nearby. If you do find a good one, let me know.

I went to school up in albany and there was a place there that would have amoroso rolls frozen in philly and shipped up to them. They did make a good cheesesteak...

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
There is a place called Jersey Mikes in Pace near the Target and Wal-Mart. It wasn't bad, but it is a bit of a drive from Pcola.

There is also one right near the mall, in the same strip as the kmart and the chirstian store. I went there the other day and had a pretty good turkey hoagie.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
There is Becky's Philly-ing Station that is right outside the front gate of NASP. I have never been there, but I have heard good things. And there is a place called Philly-something or other that is on creighton.

But for me I used to work at a cheesesteak place back in philly over the summer, and I don't even bother looking for anything close to what I used to make. First off, no amoroso rolls and no alkaline skukill river nearby. If you do find a good one, let me know.

I went to school up in albany and there was a place there that would have amoroso rolls frozen in philly and shipped up to them. They did make a good cheesesteak...

As someone how grew up in Philly, the one on creigton is great. The guy is from philly and flies in amaroso rolls. They even sell tastycakes there!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
isn't there a Larry's Giant subs, (with the gorilla on the sign I think) or Miami subs in Pcola....both had pretty good imposter cheesesteaks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Hip Pocket serves some weird chewy meat that is not even sliced thin. Tastes horrible also.

Wing n a Prayer serves a 'way overpriced' sub ($7.47) that is rather small and isn't all that good .

Right now Arby's has the best one on my list (so sad).

Any recommendations?

AGREED.

Hip Pocket has some GREAT sandwiches (Burger, MONSTER meatball sub etc). The philly cheese steak, however, isn't one of them.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
As someone how grew up in Philly, the one on creigton is great. The guy is from philly and flies in amaroso rolls. They even sell tastycakes there!

Concur, Philly's is the best place around here. I grew up in Wildwood and went to college in Philly. The owner, Ross Calloway, went to high school with my dad. I think he opened that place in early 2000.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I actually like the philly cheesesteak at Hip Pocket. It doesn't taste like a normal cheesesteak but I thought it was pretty appetizing.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mrs Fester is from the Philly 'burbs, and I've had this conversation with her more than once. There's a difference, I'm told, between a "good" cheesesteak and an "authentic" one. My pop-in-law (born and bred in Philly) can converse at length on the finer points of an "authentic" cheesesteak, "wid" vs "widout", whiz-or-not, the unique chemical makeup of the amoroso roll, etc, etc.

To us non-Philly types, an authentic cheesesteak may or may not be good, and a good cheesteak may or may not be authentic. Apparently if it's part of your native cuisine, a cheesteak cannot be considered good if it's not authentic, whereas an authentic one is by definition good, even if it tastes like it was rolled around in a gutter (and from what I know of Philly, it's entirely possible that it was). :icon_smil

On the other hand, they always gave out TastyCakes before the Army game when it was in Philly. Pure sugary goodness...essential for standing through the foosball for a snowy afternoon.