• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to find senior officers

TheSparo

el jefe
I am reapplying for OCS (NFO) and wanted to add a few interviews from senior officers. All I know is that they will be at Naval bases, is this correct?
I am in Cookeville, TN and the closest NAS I could find was in Millington... more than 4 hours away. I am a full time student, so this is a little difficult to make that trip.
So, are there any other places to find senior officers? or am I just going to have to make the long trip down there?

TheSparo

el jefe
Mine told me he couldn't do that (something about regulations or something), that I had to do them...
and are phone interviews any less weighted?
thanks for the response biograd!

PSU3333

None
Try Vandy

I am reapplying for OCS (NFO) and wanted to add a few interviews from senior officers. All I know is that they will be at Naval bases, is this correct?
I am in Cookeville, TN and the closest NAS I could find was in Millington... more than 4 hours away. I am a full time student, so this is a little difficult to make that trip.
So, are there any other places to find senior officers? or am I just going to have to make the long trip down there?

I was a NROTC guy so not sure exactly how much interviews from senior officers help, however I do have a solution for you. I am familiar with your area, and it is about 80 miles or so from Nashville. As you are probably familiar with, the Vanderbilt University is in Nashville, and they have a NROTC unit. The CO is a Captain (P-3 Pilot), the XO is probably a CDR, and there is most likely a senior LT or LCDR Aviation billet as well. Here is the website http://www.vanderbilt.edu/nrotc/index.html. Hope that helps.

TheSparo

el jefe
Wow PSU, that is exactly what I'm looking for, I am not familiar with NROTC (as we don't have it here) so this is a great help! I will look into doing so.
Any other known officers in the area that you know of?

Again, Thanks!

biograd06

Princess of the Pulpmill
As far as I know, there are no "regulations" that prohibit an OR from calling up an officer and asking if he'd be willing to interview a candidate.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me...

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
As far as I know, there are no "regulations" that prohibit an OR from calling up an officer and asking if he'd be willing to interview a candidate.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me...

Maybe regulations is the wrong word and the OSO meant to say protocol.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow PSU, that is exactly what I'm looking for, I am not familiar with NROTC (as we don't have it here) so this is a great help! I will look into doing so.

Again, Thanks!

Chances are the ROTC commanding officer might be able to help you as he likely knows anyone else in area.

das

Contributor

Again, Thanks!

Navy officers aren't only at Navy bases. Navy ROTC is just one place you might find Navy officers. Another place is reserve officers that are at reserve centers.

For example:

NOSC Knoxville

NOSC Memphis

NOSC Nashville

NOSC Chattanooga

There are probably some Navy officers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory as well. A little quality time with Google might help you find them.

exhelodrvr

pilot

What is the purpose of the "interviews"?

If you are looking for sources to get more information about the Navy, I would suggest checking with the nearest Navy League chapter. They may have members who are just recently off of active duty, or some who are currently in the reserves; I'm sure that they would be happy to talk to you.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Would interviews from retired officers be an option? If all else fails you could start shoulder-tapping at base golf courses. :)

TheSparo

el jefe
haha i know i've spoken to people over the phone that i can pick up quickly they're "douchenozzles" ...
but thanks for all the info, Dave, I will check those out as well.
I searched google for many different variations of navy officer locations and guess I wasn't sure what to look for. Those will be most helpful along with the NROTC tip!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All I know is that they will be at Naval bases, is this correct?
You need confirmation that Naval Officers will be found at Navy bases? :confused:

Be careful with the optional interviews. They can go south on ya. You won't know who the guy is, what his perspective is, what he thinks of the navy anymore, or OCS types, or aviators, etc. Remember, it is an interview appraisal, not a letter of recommendation. That said, the most useful and reliable ones will come from people that have been involved in officer
assessions/training/development. NROTC officers would be the best resource for that. Either they conduct the interview themselves or refer you to someone else that is in the know. Oh, and there is a specific form that has to be filled out. Ask your recruiter for one.