• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where do OCS guys come from?

j2009

This questions is for those who have attended OCS recently. What percentage would you say in any given OCS class were previously enlisted? How many come directly from college?

I have 6 years of active duty in the navy, and will soon graduate with a B.A. in Psychology. I intend on applying to OCS. Has anyone known a line officer (Surface Warfare/Aviation) with this type of social science degree? I'm a little worried that not having a degree in engineering or science will hold me back.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This questions is for those who have attended OCS recently. What percentage would you say in any given OCS class were previously enlisted? How many come directly from college?

I have 6 years of active duty in the navy, and will soon graduate with a B.A. in Psychology. I intend on applying to OCS. Has anyone known a line officer (Surface Warfare/Aviation) with this type of social science degree? I'm a little worried that not having a degree in engineering or science will hold me back.

Absolutely not an issue. Put it out of your mind. FWIW, I went through the entire aviation pipeline with a 10th grade education (I'm not kidding).

Brett

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
90% of my class (back when STA was different) were prior enlisted. Several PO1s and PO2s with double warfare quals, etc. I learned a lot from those guys. The DI and CPO leaned on the prior Es to pretty much train the newbies like myself.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely not an issue. Put it out of your mind. FWIW, I went through the entire aviation pipeline with a 10th grade education (I'm not kidding).

Brett
Im not too surprised by that ... :eek: :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May I inquire as to how??

HS drop-out, GED, enlisted, legacy STA (went straight to OCS w/o college), flight school, fleet tour, shore duty (which I'm on now) is a bachelors degree at a private Catholic University on the Navy's dime (as I collect O-3E pay and ACCP bonus:D). An unorthodox path, no doubt, but it sure has been a good deal for me.

Brett

Rasczak

Marine
What a deal Brett, and then on top of all that your related to Chuck Norris! AMAZING!
Seriously though, that had to be a lot of work..

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
HS drop-out, GED, enlisted, legacy STA (went straight to OCS w/o college), flight school, fleet tour, shore duty (which I'm on now) is a bachelors degree at a private Catholic University on the Navy's dime (as I collect O-3E pay and ACCP bonus:D). An unorthodox path, no doubt, but it sure has been a good deal for me.

Brett

I met an NFO the other day (in one of my classes) who did the exact same program. Sounds like the deal of the century to me.