• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where are the various star wars canyons?

danpass

I found one, Rainbow Canyon, aka Jedi Transition, at GOOGLE MAPS and was wondering about the other ones, such as in Oman/Qatar/SomewhereOverThere.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
There are definitely some spots in East County SD that look like where R2-D2 was wandering right before the jawas grabbed him.

Tatooine is an actual place. I think some filming was done in Tunisia.
Yes to the area of sand dunes off of I-8 between Imperial and Yuma…think the Sarlacc and stuff at the beginning of Return of the Jedi.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ones that I have heard about repeatedly have been the ones in Oman. An old A-6 pilot in my first squadron talked about doing some right after Desert Storm and said it was a blast, a free for all. He was especially impressed by how good the Brit expat Hunter pilots flying for the Omanis were, they apparently took 'low level' very literally in the canyons.

Another one I know of was some of the glacial canyons in Antartica, the VXE-6 Huey guys apparently flew them all the time along the coast. An LC-130 Nav also from my first squadron had a whole bunch of videos of them flying the canyons though more Hoth and Firefox than Tatooine, very cool.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
When people say "Star Wars Canyon", I always wonder if people are referring to something that looks like the Death Star trench, or Luke's comment about full throttle being "Just like Beggar's Canyon back home"

Kings Canyon in the Sierras looks like the Death Star trench from up high, but it's in a national forest, so you aren't supposed to low-level through it (although I'm fairly sure it's been done...)

I have flown plenty of "Jedi transitions" out here. :)

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
There are definitely some spots in East County SD that look like where R2-D2 was wandering right before the jawas grabbed him.

Tatooine is an actual place. I think some filming was done in Tunisia.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

taxi1

pilot
The ones that I have heard about repeatedly have been the ones in Oman. An old A-6 pilot in my first squadron talked about doing some right after Desert Storm and said it was a blast, a free for all. He was especially impressed by how good the Brit expat Hunter pilots flying for the Omanis were, they apparently took 'low level' very literally in the canyons.
Old thread, but Star Wars Canyon popped into my head and I searched here. This is the Oman canyon...

Picture out of my E2 while trundling through it, in-between cycles while the single cycle weenies were launching and recovering.

1680288358884.png