• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where are the T-34Cs going?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wait the T-34 had weapons? :eek:

If you look under the wing of a T-34C, you can see a couple of holes for where the export mounts would go.

Of all of the satellite site T-34s I've seen, none of them were ever TRACOM birds, or if they were, they were removed from TRACOM service before 2000 (at least). I'd be curious to know if there are any satellite T-34s with NACWS, as that's the easiest way to tell if they're "new" to the site.

I will truly miss that bird. It was a forgiving plane to fly, but a hard plane to fly well, and it was a complete blast.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got a buddy that owns and operates a T-34B and would LOVE to get pieces and parts off a T-34C....

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
A T-34C would be fun to own, but I bet turbine maintenance is incredibly expensive.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A T-34C would be fun to own, but I bet turbine maintenance is incredibly expensive.

I've been trying to crack that nut for some time, to actually get a real number to compare to. For the reliability, a turbine could be well worth the effort versus a piston engine. However, I quickly lose interest when I compare the ~40 gallons/hour versus, let's say, 10 gallons/hour.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
they RTB'd after getting jumped by a pair of Sea Harriers who put a cannon shell in the back seat of one (didn't explode).

Lucky SOBs, I miss the sliding canopy on the T-34C :(, i shouldn't bitch but I got the T-6 to worry about :cool:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Lucky SOBs, I miss the sliding canopy on the T-34C :(, i shouldn't bitch but I got the T-6 to worry about :cool:

I flew with the canopy open every chance I had in Primary. Alas, I'd love to own that little airplane.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I'd be curious to know if there are any satellite T-34s with NACWS, as that's the easiest way to tell if they're "new" to the site.
Nope, no NACWS on any of ours. We've had lots of rumors about picking up more airplanes once Corpus throws in the towel but I'm not holding my breath...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The T-34 was fun, but man, the power of the T-6 is awesome. Plus, I love having a HUD and an FMS. I like the canopy open flying but I think I'd take a HUD over it. As for turbine costs, that'd be a good comparison and I'd be curious about it, too. Jet A is usually cheaper than 100LL but I don't know if that's enough to cover the costs.

Jublov

I flew with the canopy open every chance I had in Primary

Musta been pretty hot in Corpus/Whiting for you Swanee? :);)

Plus, I love having a HUD and an FMS. I like the canopy open flying but I think I'd take a HUD over it

Agreed, it helps with landing, that glass cockpit is freaking sexy :eek:

tumblr_mxnflqMbM41rlcynyo1_500.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nope, no NACWS on any of ours. We've had lots of rumors about picking up more airplanes once Corpus throws in the towel but I'm not holding my breath...

I think you guys have one of ours. Either 947 or 949 (I want to say it's 947). Miramar got the other one. <sigh>

As for turbine costs, that'd be a good comparison and I'd be curious about it, too. Jet A is usually cheaper than 100LL but I don't know if that's enough to cover the costs.

It depends on where you go, but right now it's only about a $1 difference (in FL, anyway). Part of the issue is you can get Jet A at the same price as 100LL at some places because you're paying for full-service fueling versus self-service for 100LL, which is usually less expensive.

Jublov

God I love them, that satisfying click when you slide the canopy in, makes me feel like i am flying a ww2 fighter, god bless T-34s

ryan1234

I've been trying to crack that nut for some time, to actually get a real number to compare to. For the reliability, a turbine could be well worth the effort versus a piston engine. However, I quickly lose interest when I compare the ~40 gallons/hour versus, let's say, 10 gallons/hour.

The PT6 is pretty expensive overall I think for most things like hot sections, overhauls, etc. However, the Walter (GE) M601 is a pretty impressive, relatively inexpensive motor that suits a lot of civilian applications.