• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whens The Best Time To Start An App.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your quota is based on when you would graduate OCS and be commissioned. So if you are just starting your sophmore year and don't get your degree until '07 you are an '07 quota. Has nothing to do with when you apply or are even accepted. Your quota, or slot, is based on when you finish OCS. Since OCS is 13 weeks a guy starting OCS in AUG 04 will be a '05 quota. New quota numbers are issued more or less on the standard gov't FY cycle. Bottom line is to apply early. If you are in the ball park for BDCP you can apply two years out and should. The bennies are great. Talk to a recruiter. If you don't qualify for BDCP then you have to time your app like a day trader times the stock market. It is almost as reliable too. If you are a straight OCS applicant then apply one year out, and again if necessary. If you are a graduate and applying now things will be difficult.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya, some NFO spots still open. Very competitive. SWO full, Intel real tough and Supply filling up fast. If you want one of the new '05 quotas coming out in OCT you had better be in the application process now. Once it is complete it is good for six months. Finish it early and have your recruiter sit on it until OCT rolls around. Remember these are for OCS classes starting in July 04. If you are a graduate and starving, get a better job. It will be a long wait until you get a Navy pay check.

navsup

BDCP Supply
I believe you cannot apply for BDCP until after your sophmore year, because for a non-technical degree like yours you can only be paid for 24 months. If your are thinking of joining the navy then BDCP is definetly the way to go. Its basically 50,000 dollars over two years for just going to school. If you know you want to be in the navy when you graduate anyway then you should do the bdcp. defintely study the arco books, they helped me greatly. i took a practice test without studying and nearly failed. i didnt even finish in the allotted time. however after a month of studying the arco i got a 50 on my OAR. which was high enough to pro rec for supply.

oh yeah, you probably already know that you cant use a calculator on the test. it caught me off guard, but maybe im just a technology spoiled young generation.

the BDCP process takes a long time probably 6 months or more, so start getting your package ready now(filling out applications, getting references, etc...) that way as soon as spring semester is over the recruiter can drop your package immediately.

zuggerat

wow aight...cool lotta stuff i didnt know thanx everyone...you've all really helped me out...im gonna study for a while and build my strength up...and then ill go talk to a recruiter this summer or easter break so im in a better position to actually begin the application process and be accepted in the correct time frame...thanx alot again.

Zugger D

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gentlemen, everyone relax a bit... I've been in the Navy for nearly 6 years now, and I've never seen people so worked up! I decided on a cold NOV morning to apply to the navy to be a pilot, and I was in OCS in FEB. Granted that was in '98, but I don't think things have changed that much. Apply as soon as you meet the requirements and they will put you in a spot. People who apply to OCS have the adavantage of applying to a specific designator or nothing else. Don't let a recruiter bullsh*t you into "there are no more pilot spots". Bullcrud. There are always Pilot slots.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot,
Things have changed alot since '98. You are full of bum gouge and you don't know how much it pains me to say that to a fellow War Hoover vet. There are NO '04 pilot slots! In fact, they have more people enlisted with class dates then they have opennings now due to fewer atrites throughout the year. They won't have money to send them all so some lucky guys may slip to '05. Yes that means they will take an '05 quota, thereby reducing the real number of opennings to the guys waiting to apply. What makes you think there are "always pilot slots"? You think the Navy just goes out and hires as many people as walk in the door? There are only a finite number of jobs, whether pilot or Sub or SWO. The navy hires to man the fleet. No more, no less. When the need is met, they hire no more. I could reference my experience from '79 when I came in or from '84 when I was a recruiter. But those were different times. I'll be honest with you guys. Although I smoked the ASTB I probably wouldn't have gotten an offer from the navy due to my GPA by today's standards. My two posts come straight from CRUITCOM and since I don't get paid to put people in the Navy I don't have a dog in the fight. No "Bullcrud" comes from me. Well, atleast when it comes to recruiting info on this forum.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stand corrected. Maybe I lucked into a spot and didn't even know it. I have never heard about the lack of space in the training pipeline. The times must have changed quite a bit in the last 5 years. With the NAPPI process and all of the streamlining of the training commands, I can't believe that the pools are back! I'm going to kick back and read some post's to find out what's happening now, not what happened in '98!

Status
Not open for further replies.