• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

when were the current nfo wings authorized?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Have researched this one extensivley. I attended more than one Sliver Eagle
reunion and have asked well over 100 of these guys if they ever saw an NAP
with silver wings. Each insisted there was never any such thing; all wore gold.
E-men have been involved in Naval Aviation from day one ... however the first dedicated 'class' of Navy Petty Officers and Marine Sergeants did not happen until 1916 when they received formal instruction in P-Cola.

The first enlisted pilots who were designated NAPs graduated in 1920 and wore the Wings of Gold of a Naval Aviator -- never silver. The program was terminated in 1947 w/ about 5000 NAPs extant at the time ...

The first one I saw was the tower Chief in Meridian. Today, most are well into their 80's and as such qualify as 'endangered species' ... :)

Flugelman

Contributor
Flew with a couple LDO ex NAPs in my first Navy squadron. LCDR Hal Johnson is the one I remember. He flew that Connie like he was born in it, usually with an unlit cigar clamped in his teeth. He was one hell of an instructor, never talked down to anyone, and saved our asses a couple of times from nugget shenanigans on Tachi's short runway. My Dad was a FASRON pilot in the Korean thing and always had good things to say about the NAPs.

dilbert123

pilot
Great thread. I have always been fascinated with the history of our service and thanks to all who passed along information.

Always thought the Balloon Pilot wings were an insult.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Did NAPs wear silver pilot wings or were theirs gold too? I remember seeing gold wings on their rank/rating badges at the museum in P'cola, but I don't recall what color their metal wings were...probably gold too, just looking for an affirm.

They probably looked silver due to the metric ton of salt on them. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Always thought the Balloon Pilot wings were an insult.
Same-o, same-o ... the first Navy XO I ever had on a continuing basis (NROTC) was a former 'bag pilot' and wore the Wings on his uniform every day ... mebbe not an 'insult', but the first time I saw those Wings I thought something was 'wrong' w/ my eyes ... :)

bagpilot.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bags!

Same-o, same-o ... the first Navy XO I ever had on a continuing basis (NROTC) was a former 'bag pilot' and wore the Wings on his uniform every day ... mebbe not an 'insult', but the first time I saw those Wings I thought something was 'wrong' w/ my eyes ... :)

bagpilot.jpg

Had a guy from my NavCad Preflight class 44-56 name of Roland Hassell. Applied for and was accepted for Airships. Completed Basic, then headed off to "Bag" advanced wherever that was (Glynco, Memphis, Moffett???). :icon_kiss

Heard later that he got his, er gold 'Wing', and joined the last operational ZP Squadron @ Moffett. Poopy Bag Squadron(s) practiced their final "simulated hiss-outs to mush and gos" soon thereafter, then along with Rollie, slipped quietly into Naval Aviation history.:angel_125
BzB

dilbert123

pilot
Never heard any of the balloon slang, "bag advanced, poopy bags, hiss-outs, mush and gos"- really funny, thanks for sending.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i would guess that when running pre flight OBC in a balloon, a BAG* acronym would be a downer.

*f14 beacon augmentor