• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When to begin applying for NROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Radio

Complete Unknown
I'm currently a junior in high school and am looking at NROTC. I was looking at Army ROTC until I realized it's the Army. Anyway...I was just wonderin' when the rest of you guys that have gone through NROTC started the application process. I still haven't decided if I want to do Marine option or not. I heard that they are in more of a need for pilots than the regular Navy, and flying is what I'd like to do, which is why I came to you guys. Thanks for any thoughts.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
APPLY NOW AS EARLY AS YOU CAN. Go to the NROTC website and get going on that application, scheduling DODMERB and the interviews can be a hassle, and the earlier you get it in the better.

Crowbar

None
M Radio said:
I still haven't decided if I want to do Marine option or not. I heard that they are in more of a need for pilots than the regular Navy, and flying is what I'd like to do

The "regular Navy"? The Marine Corps and the Navy, while both fall under the DoN, are separate entities with different missions. That's defintely something you'll want to research more before making a decision.
The key thing to remember, though, is that if you get accepted for a scholarship, you can apply to switch from Navy option to Marine option if you change your mind. Obviously there are requirements you need to meet, but people do it all the time.
Talk to some people at the schools you are interested in. If flying is really all you are interested in, your best bet is to hit up a local airport. Today's armed forces need people who are ready/willing to serve their country first, and do whatever job they are assigned second.
Good luck!

M Radio

Complete Unknown
Crowbar said:
The "regular Navy"? The Marine Corps and the Navy, while both fall under the DoN, are separate entities with different missions.

To clarify what I meant by "regular navy" was to show the same point you wrote. The Marines is the more direct combat oriented arm of the Navy, which the Navy doesn't regularly participate in.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I renmember having my NROTC scholership in hand by Nov-Dec before graduating from HS. Apply now...apply often!!

Crowbar said:
The key thing to remember, though, is that if you get accepted for a scholarship, you can apply to switch from Navy option to Marine option if you change your mind

We've had a lot of guys at our unit start Navy then go Marine Corps (a few the other way, but not common). My personal advice is to apply for the Navy scholarship first (I think they might be easier to get, at least from what I've seen of guys applying for the MC scholarship, but I could be wrong so don't quote me on that). If you are on scholarship, you'll go to CORTRAMID over your first summer and spend a week with the MC. Also, you'll get the chance to talk to Marines at your unit. After a year of ROTC you'll probably know what you want to do. You can certainly switch at that point as long as you make yourself competitive enough. I was thinking of switching to the MC initially, but by the time I got to my second year I realized the Navy was where I belonged.

However, do NOT join the MC simply because you want an easier shot at flying. As a Marine, you are a Marine first, then a pilot. You have to want to be a Marine.

Hope this helps.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
M Radio said:
To clarify what I meant by "regular navy" was to show the same point you wrote. The Marines is the more direct combat oriented arm of the Navy, which the Navy doesn't regularly participate in.

The marines are simply that, the marines. Entirely different service although both fall under SecNav, they are not subsets of the other service.

Also if you are wanting to go to the marines only because they seem to have more flight slots now, you really need to check out your reasons for wanting to be a marine...

A. They may have more slots now, but you will be selecting 6 yrs from now at the earliest. Things can and will change many times by then.

B. Be a marine, becuase you want to be a marine. With both services there is a good chance you will not get your first choice out of service selection. Be prepared to be an officer first, and what ever else second.

Also
APPLY NOW!!!

mike172

GO NAVY
when to apply

I understand that everyone is saying to apply early, but when. How can u apply for NROTC if you havent applied for colleges or been accepted by and college yet. So do u mean you should apply before applying for college, at the same time applying for college, or after uve been accepted.

Phantom Hawk

When you apply for the scholarship one of the steps is to select, from a list, 3 schools that you would want to attend with the scholarship. It is then your responsibility to apply and be accepted into those schools. If CNET(the ppl who go over your ROTC application) decides you are "worthy" of recieving the scholarship they will tell you which one of the 3 schools you picked earlier you recieved the scholarship at. All that to say: apply for the scholarhip ASAP and apply for the colleges you selected ASAP. If you are assigned the scholarship at a school you did not get into there is a way to transfer the scholarship to one of the other schools you put down on your scholarship application. I dont know how difficult that is, but its possible.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Apply for both the colleges and the scholarship concurrently. As said above, you have a say in what schools you would like to go to for the NROTC app. (THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL 100% GET THAT SCHOOL).

As far as when you find out, it will vary, I found out about getting the scholarship prior to getting the acceptance letter for the school.

Check out this website, it should help answer any questions you have.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

BurbPunk

Everyone says that you should apply as early as possible (end of junior year). This is true for one major reason (I'm telling you this as an incentive). These scholarships are picked by a board that starts out with a certain number of them and a certain number of slots at each school. If you apply early and get the scholarship, it is more likely that you will get it (apps that are not accepted at first are looked at by the board each time it meets in case they can be accepted later; the ones left at the end are denied). Also, some schools have a very few slots and if you apply late, you may force yourself to go to the wrong school or worse, give up your scholarship and re apply if the school you are assigned to does not take you. I have this problem. I applied late and was lucky enough to get it but didn't get into the school I was assigned to. My first pick that I did get into was full. Don't force yourself to fight for a scholarship that you earned and to mess up your summer doing it. The medical stuff can also be a pain (see my thread), so be careful. Despite all of this, I still think that it's worth it if the military is what you want.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.