• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When should I submit my air package (Marine-option)?

Biles

I'm a rising sophomore this year, and I want to take advantage of the guaranteed flight contract with the USMC. We've been informed that we can start applying as soon as this year and be accepted before even getting our flight physical. I have yet to take the ASTB, though, and I was wondering how that would time out (if there are only certain times I can take it, how much preparation is needed, etc). Should I just take the ASTB ASAP (I doubt I will have any trouble with the technical sections as an engineering major), or does it actually require some intense studying? I also do not know when the selection boards meet, so that information would be very useful to decide if I need to rush my process or not.

My understanding, as of now, would lead to something like this: ASTB in the fall, submit package before the semester is over, get results in the spring, get PRK 18 months before commission, and get my flight physical before my senior year.

Also, does anyone know how the ASTB works with the guaranteed contract? Do I just need to make the 4/6/6 (I think) and be done with it, or is the score actually competitive? Thanks for any info. I plan on talking to my MOI when school starts back, but I would like to go in with a solid plan.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ASTB isn't that hard, but it does require prep, namely in the aviation/nautical knowledge section (if you don't have all that stuff already in your head for one reason or another) and also for the spatial part. I can't speak for how competitive it is to get the contract since I'm Navy, but if you start preparing now, no reason you couldn't take it when you get back in the fall. If you screw up, you have 2 more chances to take it.

The one thing I would double check on is the PRK, since I take it by the fact you're getting it you want to be a pilot. Talk to your MOI and see if you can still put in for pilot while you're still blind, or if you have to be qualified with your vision before you put in your package. Again, I'm not entirely sure how the process works, but if I were in your position I would ask that question if you haven't already.

Biles

The ASTB isn't that hard, but it does require prep, namely in the aviation/nautical knowledge section (if you don't have all that stuff already in your head for one reason or another) and also for the spatial part. I can't speak for how competitive it is to get the contract since I'm Navy, but if you start preparing now, no reason you couldn't take it when you get back in the fall. If you screw up, you have 2 more chances to take it.

The one thing I would double check on is the PRK, since I take it by the fact you're getting it you want to be a pilot. Talk to your MOI and see if you can still put in for pilot while you're still blind, or if you have to be qualified with your vision before you put in your package. Again, I'm not entirely sure how the process works, but if I were in your position I would ask that question if you haven't already.

The helo pilots I talked to this week said it was definitely possible to submit your package then wait to get PRK with your USAA Pre-commissioning Loan. I will make sure to double-check this with my MOI, though. I really don't want to deal with the hassle of having to switch from NFO to NA.

sanders

I started the process back in September of my sophomore year. I took a PFT around that time. The ASTB was not a big deal for me, I just took it pretty much when it was convenient for me (sometime in October). I got the results a week or two later. I got my flight contract in January or February, and went to juniors that summer. I got PRK during the winter of my Junior year, but I was stupid when I got PRK, I did not know you had to wait 6 months before beginning training after that type of surgery but luckily I was able to get everything cleared and attend seniors lest summer. They sent me to get my flight physical last February and I commissioned a few months ago.

As far as the astb goes, you should definitely study. A buddy of mine had a study guide he let me borrow, but you may be able to fine some material online for free. I studied for a few hours the day before the test and did ok on it. Commodore is right, if you are already decent at standardized tests, the only part that might be a challenge is the aviation knowledge section.

Biles

I started the process back in September of my sophomore year. I took a PFT around that time. The ASTB was not a big deal for me, I just took it pretty much when it was convenient for me (sometime in October). I got the results a week or two later. I got my flight contract in January or February, and went to juniors that summer. I got PRK during the winter of my Junior year, but I was stupid when I got PRK, I did not know you had to wait 6 months before beginning training after that type of surgery but luckily I was able to get everything cleared and attend seniors lest summer. They sent me to get my flight physical last February and I commissioned a few months ago.

As far as the astb goes, you should definitely study. A buddy of mine had a study guide he let me borrow, but you may be able to fine some material online for free. I studied for a few hours the day before the test and did ok on it. Commodore is right, if you are already decent at standardized tests, the only part that might be a challenge is the aviation knowledge section.

Thanks a lot! That sounds exactly like the path I'm trying to take. By the way, how did you do on the ASTB, and did you get NA or NFO?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about the transition from NFO to NA if you have to go that route. It's pretty easy. There's a whole group of dudes here at MATSG that got PRK as late as right after TBS, and are just waiting to go med up so they can transition...and the Marine Corps paid for it. PRK is pretty easy to come by these days on the active side. Especially with the front of the line privileges being in a flight status gets you.

At least study for the ASTB enough to be familiar with the format. You can take it any time as it is good forever. You can take it right there in the ensign shack next to the staff meeting room pretty much any time you want if Lt W is still there.

JTB7

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I am in the process of applying for an NROTC-Marine Option scholarship. I am told if I talk to the MOI I can get a flight contract through NROTC around my sophomore year, is this true for every NROTC-Marine Option across the U.S? There is a lot of gouge on how to get a flight contract through PLC but getting one through NROTC seems to be in the dark..

MarineInOkinawa

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I am in the process of applying for an NROTC-Marine Option scholarship. I am told if I talk to the MOI I can get a flight contract through NROTC around my sophomore year, is this true for every NROTC-Marine Option across the U.S? There is a lot of gouge on how to get a flight contract through PLC but getting one through NROTC seems to be in the dark..

Sophomore year is what an F 18 pilot told me at work a few months ago. He came in to check out and we spoke for like 20 minutes. He said all they look at is your physical and ASTB score. This is what my goal is obviously.