• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

when should i start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryd

where should i start?

Hi, im a new user and a very unknowledgeable 18 year old. I plan to attend the University of Alabama next fall. Besides making good grades and physical fitness, what are some basic things I can start doing now before I graduate from Alabama, to help my possibilities of becoming an aviator. When should I talk to a recuiter? ROTC program at BAMA?
Id appreciate some help.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Are you interested in ROTC? If you are (and you should have applied) then it is not a bad way to go. If you were rejected or didn't apply, there is still hope as a College Program student. I don't know the details exactly, but talking to the ROTC LTs would be your best resource. If you want to do that, you'd better show them that you really want it or they may not be that excited about helping.

Can't help you with the OCS route, don't know the first thing about it.

Also, know that if you go ROTC you aren't guaranteed to get aviation. You'd better be interested in being a Naval Officer too.

Hope that helps, good luck!!

devildogdad

devildogdad
Interested in Flying?

When my son made the decision to fly Military, he did talk to the different branches of the Services. My son made that decision after 911. The Marine Corp was the only branch of the militarty that would GURANTEE and AVIATION CONTRACT! If you have what it takes to become a Marine Officer, then you may be provided and Opprotunity to fly for the Marines. My son is in Primary Flight in Pensacola.

CLAM97to99

Sorry about the thread jack but the Marines always stress that they guarantee an aviation contract where the Navy does not. Has any one heard of some one being given another designator at any point in the process? That is excluding NPQ and other such reasons.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
Just so you know Alabama does not have navy ROTC only auburn does.... I go to UAH and thought about doing ROTC also but it was to late. Once you are at Alabama you can look into doing BDCP your sophmore year if you are a tech major or your junior if you are non tech. Even though you can start either your sophmore or junior year you really need to get the application process started much earlier than that to give you a better chance. Like I said I am at school in Alabama but in huntsville.....what city do you live in?

thrillseeker121

Look into the BDCP (Bachelor Degree Completion Program). Although you cannot apply until two years from graduation....it is a good route to follow. My advice is to make your decision about which branch ASAP and talk to the recruiters continually throughout your college career.

harryd

My sisters boyfriend is in flight school at Dothan for the Army. He had LASIK and that was the only branch that would take him. He told me that ROTC was not that neccessary, but grades were. Matt, are you sure BAMA doesnt have a ROTC progran? and im from New Orleans. Should i make my decision on which branch before i talk to a recruiter? Is a recruiter going to be that interested in talking to me considering im joining 4 years from now?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
As far as I'm concerned, Navy OCS contracts are "guaranteed". I think the reason the Marines stress that, is because it's pretty much the only designator/MOS where you know you'll be an NFO/Pilot prior to TBS. Except for law, every one else is lumped in "ground" and their performance at TBS decides what they get.

If you're looking to go marines to fly, you should definitely check out PLC, which basically breaks down OCS into two 6 week sessions during the summers of college. Through that, you can have a guaranteed flight contract.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sometimes things get misinterpreted...

****The Marines are NOT the only branch to offer a guaranteed flight spot.****

That is a recruiting tool, not the truth. If you go the Navy OCS route, you will know beforehand whether you will be given a pilot slot or not. You actually apply directly into the community of your choice - so you apply for Pilot, SWO, Intel, etc. That works for both regular OCS applicants as well as BDCP. Not stomping on anyone's toes, but please don't spread bad gouge on this site.

Also, not to promote going into the Air Force, but I looked into it before I went Navy and I believe it works the same way. I don't think you swear in without knowing you'll go to flight school.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
Yes I am sure that Bama does not offer NAVY ROTC although I am pretty sure that they offer air force and army but not to sure I never looked much into those branches.

devildogdad

devildogdad
No NAVY ROTC AT BAMA

My wife and I are both Bama Grads and I visit Tuscaloosa on a regular basis so I can confirm that there is No Navy Rotc at Alabama. Auburn University DOES have NAVY ROTC. My son that I had previously mentioned that is in Primary at Whiting in Pcola did do the OCS route after his Junior year at Auburn. The PLC IS a option over the OCS route.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
When I was going through NROTC, the Marines were offered guaranteed flight contracts. They only had to pass the physical and the ASTB with the Marine minimum scores. They could do this as early as their sophomore year. Our MOI was always reminding the Navy options that wanted to fly that they could switch over and not have to worry about selection. I don't know if that is still the case, but I would imagine so since the Marines are still hurting for pilots.

Status
Not open for further replies.