• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When should I get the recruiter involved?

slaypax

I know this has come up before, but bear with me. I'm a long time lurker that finally got an account. I've been preparing myself in what ever capacity I can over the past month or two, but I want to start the OCS application process in earnest, and I want to know what I should already have prepared to appear I know what I'm doing and not just going into this thing like some kind of punk who thinks naval aviation is all shirtless dog tag volley ball. I already have 4 LOR's (looking for at least one hopefully two more to bolster my packet,) I have begun gather transcripts and other documents, and I've been studying for my ASTB pretty diligently, in addition to maintaining a regular running routine. I guess I'd be aiming for the February 1st deadline for the March boards.

My question is, am I ready? After putting in a "request for information," on Navy.com, months and months ago, I was contacted by email by a Chief, but he appears to be the one in charge of officer programs at the recruiting command nearest to me. Naturally, I don't know anything, but I am concerned that he may be the wrong one to talk to. We've emailed briefly, as in he sent me some official paper work regarding the requirements for entry, the ASTB overview and the mechanical comprehension packet. I already had those because of this site, and that is up until this point as far as our communication has gone. Am I wrong, I know a cheif is an NCO and all, but are they generally the one's that would be the most helpful for a person in my position? is there anyone who knows about recruitment in the DFW area that could shed some light on this? Should I seek out someone else to actually breach the subject with when it comes time to take it to phone and in person meet-ups?

At this point I may just be going a little overboard with all the questions, but, long story short, how much prep is required before the initial contact? What will make a good impression and make my OR want to take time to spend on me and my case?

For the record, it's NFO I am most interested in, with Aviator going in as second choice and still searching for a third choice designator. Thanks, and have mercy on the newb.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Chiefs are officer recruiters in the Navy. It is never too early to talk with an officer recruiter. You make an impression when you walk in the door. Look/smell clean and don't be a douche. You don't have to walk in the door knowing much, and you don't have to wear a suit and tie.

If you don't have a third choice then don't put a third down. Don't be the guy who gets selected for his third but turns it down because he didn't get his first choice.

slaypax

Thanks, shortly after I wrote this I went ahead and called him up. I guess now I'm really getting started, once I get him on the phone that is. I'm really interested in picking out a third because beyond the aviation and the carrier ops and what not, I just dig the Navy and the idea of making a career out of fighting the good fight and serving my country and what not. Maybe I'm a bit of a romantic, but I think that's a good motivator too.

exNavyOffRec

Things have been changing recently, so you may have a Chief that was primarily an OR or you have a Chief that has been thrust into the role of an OR due to the changes, but using the search function then asking questions here will help you out.

If your main goal is to be a USN Officer then most go for the big three Pilot/NFO/SWO, now if you have a tech degree or have taken a year of calc and physics you could apply for Subs.

slaypax

Not lookin' for subs, and I've got as far from a tech degree as you can get. I'm just good at math. I'll try and be more judicious with my posting, I've searched a lot, but maybe I was a little hot and bothered to get my own thread going after months of lurking and having "insufficient privileges to post here."

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
I started working with my recruiter about 6 months before I submitted my package the first time. Part of that time was spent finishing college, but I wanted everything to be on track when I graduated.

slaypax

Haha, real funny Kbay. It's been done, the lines of communication have been opened, so I guess we're done here. Dunno why I needed to putz around and ask you guys ;).

slaypax

I thought he was being funny, I wasn't being sarcastic. Although I was making fun of myself with the last bit for asking a question I already knew the answer to because I probably wanted a pat on the back and a "go get 'em!" or something. I'm trying to figure out what's having a sense of humor, and whats just excess hubris to the point of disrespect. Sorry I haven't figured it out yet.