• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When is SWOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEEPER1219

I am currently attending BOOST through the STA-21 program and was wondering as to when will I attend SWOS? Do I get sent to the fleet first and then to SWOS? Or do I get sent there (actually here-I am already in Newport) immediately after college?

flynsail

pilot
You would probably get the latest and greatest info by just walking to the SWOS building and ask the instructors or students. You know how close it is to you right...within spitting distance.

The only gouge I could offer, being I'm not a SWO, is that my friend (YG 03) went to SWOS after being attached to his ship for 14 months. If there would have been a class-up date earlier for him that would fit in with his command's schedule, he wouldn't have waited 14 months to go.

Before that, I know of people (YG 01) who went to SWOS right after college and then to their ship. When they changed the process, I do not know, but it was somewhere between those year groups.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Not that I am by any means an expert, but from the information I have received, you go straight to your ship (which I am doing) and after you get your SWO pin, you go to the 3 week SWOS school. The info I was given says you go anytime between 6-15 months. Here are some webisghts you might want to look around that could be helpful:

www.swos.navy.mil

www.swonet.com

www.navsea.navy.mil/swmagazine

Good luck!!

EngineGirl

STA-21-INTEL

You will take a "field trip" to SWOS during NSI and can ask that question. Just FYI, they told us that you would go to ship first (get pinned) then to SWOS (as EngineGirl said)

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
The latest gouge that I have received I'm YG05 and first generation STA-21er is that you go to your ship and start quals. When you get to a certain point in your quals your DH and XO will get together and send you to SWOS and most likely another school so that you can fill a vacating billet when you return. Your XO will know when to send you based on the rate at which you get through your quals i.e. hot runner gets to go sooner than a dink mother f*cker. I've got two buddies who just went to SWOS then pinned within the last 6mos. So take my .02 with a grain of salt, but I don't BS.

Good luck

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
The current process is that you directly to the ship. Then once your have got your OOD letter from the captain you go to SWOS and when you come back you take your boar for SWO. It usually takes anywhere from a year to a year and half. Depending on how much underway time you have and how hot you are on your quals. This may change by the time you get to the ship but this is how it is run right now. If you need more detail PM and I will answer any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.