• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN When did Whiting Field get ILS?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Wow, perusing Foreflight and what do I find, but an ILS into KNDZ! That's awesome!

When did this happen?

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 3.20.40 PM.png

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
At least 12 years ago. I want to say it was there when I was a student, but I can't swear to that.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
It was when I was a student. There's the ILS Z as well. Standard items in the I4300/I4400 block.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
That has been there at least 10 years. Since was a student. It is one of the stranger approaches in the country. That restricted area there caused all sorts of headaches.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
An ILS other than KPNS was a pipe dream in my days! Very nice. Thats grand progress for Big Navy.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Even north field got one too, about five or ten years ago.

Maintaining them is another matter... check your notams! (No, really, the one at south field has been down since July until the end of September.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maintaining them is another matter... check your notams! (No, really, the one at south field has been down since July until the end of September.)

I think I'd still rather have an ILS system that's down rather than the complete inability in my aircraft to use said ILS. I know, I know, it's coming...

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I think I'd still rather have an ILS system that's down rather than the complete inability in my aircraft to use said ILS. I know, I know, it's coming...

Yay, ILS is coming!

...to help you lob rockets.

......but then real ILS is coming (at some point?) too, maybe!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

The one time I needed it, they refused to let me shoot it IMC, or anything to 32 including the PAR for that matter. Took the next best thing: Copter TACAN 004 and that worked. The controllers seemed stunned I wouldn't cancel, I couldn't tell them enough: "I am in ACTUAL IMC. I need an approach that I do NOT have to cancel IFR to complete!"

sickboy

pilot
The one time I needed it, they refused to let me shoot it IMC, or anything to 32 including the PAR for that matter. Took the next best thing: Copter TACAN 004 and that worked. The controllers seemed stunned I wouldn't cancel, I couldn't tell them enough: "I am in ACTUAL IMC. I need an approach that I do NOT have to cancel IFR to complete!"

Exact same thing happened to me when I was a stud. Some things never change.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'm guessing the Restricted Area was HOT. I've been there, as well.

I've also had the pleasure of requesting the PAR for 32 in actual conditions, being given the runaround because winds where from 14-ish, then breaking out at 600-ish AGL, realizing winds weren't going to work (at night, crappy weather, non-compliant fixed-wing), asking for the downwind, being told to execute a go around, declining because...why would I go BACK into the goo, and then I think penetration was authorized and eventual compliance with my demands...I mean...aeronautically.

But that whole thing really pissed me off.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You haven't lived until you shoot the PAR 23 down there to mins and the Sunday night crew has the runway lights on the dimmest setting that is normally reserved for NVGs... because there are so many NVG ops when it's OVC 003?? Why are the mins 300-1 you ask? Those aren't exactly "low" mins. Two part answer: because there is no approach lighting, just approach obstacles.

Yes, 23. They spin the radar box about 90°, do checks, and away you go. That's how those things work.

Pro tip: If the runway lights are barely on, you'll need to turn off your own landing lights to see them through the fog.

aha-aha-o.gif

Skinsuit

pilot
I once got beautiful vectors on a PAR to 23. When I was landing 32. The final controller said 32 the whole time. Luckily it was VMC and we let it slide for "training." We were told "sorry Sir, the table just turned on us, we don't know what happened."