• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When are new Lt's covered for medical?

w5lee

Hello my son signed his commisioning paperwork a week or so ago. He doesn't have an ID card and doesn't start PDAD until the 18th of November. He fell off of my Tricare insurance when he turned 23. Bottom line now that he has signed on the dotted line is he covered? Or does he have to wait until he starts active duty?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Bottom line: He is covered as of his commissioning date.

It may be ugly until he gets (back) into DEERS and TRICARE recognizes him but in the end he is still covered.

Ugly = back and forth with TRICARE over bills accrued in the interim.

Disclosure...I don't work at PSD or TRICARE but when I slept at the Holiday Inn Express I was dropped from TRICARE at some inopportune times.

w5lee

Well just got off the phone with my son and DEERS. They have him listed in the IRR which is "NOT" covered by medical but is covered by dental. He will be covered once he starts PTAD and DEERS is updated.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Sounds right to me, not on active duty or active reserve... then no medical until he goes active in NOV.