• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's your opinion about outing oneself in the motivational statement?

mrmperry

Graffiti Dinosaur
scoob, it was all A's and B's that semester. Probably the "mitigating circumstances" argument for giving backstory isn't applicable in this instance.

Mew

scoob, it was all A's and B's that semester. Probably the "mitigating circumstances" argument for giving backstory isn't applicable in this instance.

Then why name the policy as if you don't mind posting the context of your essay it might give people a better idea of how it reads . . . You can say bless your heart or go to hell and while meaning the same thing somehow they are taken very differently

mrmperry

Graffiti Dinosaur
Mew, I'll probably post a version of my statement eventually (though not on this thread), or ask for help through PMs, but I'm a big believer in doing as much as I can by myself before asking other people to get involved, and I know that I can write a better statement than what I have now. This discussion has been very helpful in terms of what direction I want to take in my revisions, though. It was meant to be a bit more general than the specific words I use in the current draft of my statement.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Talking about adversity can hurt if it looks like you're doing it for the sake of it and the problem is minor in the big picture. And your audience is a group of people who have led careers of eating shit sandwiches on occasion, so they might not be very sympathetic.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
I think bringing up your loyalty to an "honor code" you didn't truly believe in could raise doubts about your character even though you were well-intentioned. That was my first thought when I read your OP. Let your record speak for itself, and focus on why you want to be a Naval Officer.

Renegade One

None
Would it be smart... ?
I've watched the thread for a bit for a lot of reasons…mostly to see what the current "Great Generation" might suggest or recommend. I think all of the serious replies have merit and are worthy of your consideration.

Unless the whole thing about being gay (or Democratic, or staunchly pro-2nd Amendment, or Mormon, or Amish, or committed to the environment or [fill in the blank]) is ABSOLUTELY FUNDAMENTAL to telling your story…(e.g., can't get there without it…) don't go there.

My basic reasoning is that, as I think some have said, "no one cares", policy is already on your side, and you don't want to paint yourself as especially caring or thinking it's very important either. It's part of who you are, to be sure, but not important to your future employer.

You have a great story about tripling up and hurrying up to graduate…many others have also done that for a whole host of reasons (family situations or responsibilities, financial considerations, to make maximum age windows, whatever…). That you did the very best you could in your circumstance is the most compelling side of the story. I'd focus on that…and your obviously strong desire to serve your country.

exNavyOffRec

I should mention that many other people have double up or such to graduate early for a variety of reasons, I had a candidate that earned a Chem E degree in 3 years, rec'd his Masters in Chem E 18 months later, we had a girl that graduated college with a BA at 19, didn't ask what their reasons were, didn't matter, what it did show was that they knew how to time manage and prioritize, so how about this, talk about the the challanges of time management and prioritization to successfully take the amount of credits you took, now that might catch a persons attention.

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
Besides the fact that they likely do not care, in the off chance they do, it's likely to harm you. I have three rules which allow me to get along with damn near everyone I meet. The third one is: Don't talk about politics or religion until you know the other side wont froth at the mouth over it.

As has been mentioned before, political and religious opinions (which are often used as a basis for opinions on homosexuality) are very firmly established in the heads of most people. They are the subjects that override neutrality for most people. The Officers who select may be professionals, but some people are susceptible to the influence of those beliefs whether or not they try to suppress them.

Your progress through school is something none of the people up top would take issue with. The fact that you are gay can put you at risk. Whether or not the selection board has an opinion regarding gay members of the military, it could also be seen as an attempt by you to push an agenda into your career.

There are traits of mine that put me in a bad spot for a while. The results of people's treatment of me for those traits had to be accounted for at MEPS. None of that appeared in my motivational statement. It didn't have to. If you put passion into the statement, your drive for success will be evident through your choice of words instead of the features that describe you.

alaurin

All day, every day!
If it were me, I would chalk it up to a difference in theological opinion at a religious school and leave it that, unless specifically asked.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would it be smart to not publicly identify as gay, even though orientation isn't a matter of policy anymore?
No, it would not be smart. They don't ask for your sexual orientation, why include it? It won't give you any extra 'points' (edge), and it could possibly be a detriment, as there is no knowing what is in the minds of those sitting on the board i.e., may be seen by some as 'flaunting' the new, sweeping changes in military policy re. gays. Attitudes are changing, but unfortunately... they change slowly.

This appears to be the general consensus of the question on this thread so far.
BzB