• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

whats wrong with me?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublime259

Ok, a couple weeks ago I was able to do about 10 pull ups, this after just starting to work out pretty hard for the first time in a long time. Since then I started going to the weight room quite a bit, running, and some calistenics on my own. I hadn't been doing any pull ups in that time frame (cause im an idiot..) and when I went to do some today I could barely get 2. What the hell is wrong with me?!!

SFgirl

I don't know if this will make you feel better.. but I had a similar experience in my work out today... I have been running ~3-4 miles a day with really no problems for a few weeks now, and all of a sudden today I couldn't make it past 1.5 before I thought I was gonna puke...

Crowbar

None
If you've been working out a lot lately, you may not be giving yourself enough time to recover. Working back, arms, and shoulders has a detrimental effect on how many pullups I can do. I'm talking, after a good workout, later that night I might only get 6 pullups.

If you want to find out, take 4 or 5 days off (running is okay, but no lifting or doing pullup workouts) and see how many you do.

sublime259

thanks, thats what i think im going to do. I talked to a few people and they all say that I was probably overtraining, and taking a few days off of lifting might help me get back to normal.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fatigue, perishable exercise, weight gain, etc.

Pullups is all about strength to weight ratio.

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
I'm not sure about pullups, but I've found my runs get dramatically easier when I take 3 days off. It only works for one run and I have to rebuild afterwards.

pjxc415

pilot
probably started out your program too fast. also, you could be isolating the wrong muscles lifting. in my opinion all you need to do to get better at pullups is do pullups, i don't see the point in lifting. give yourself adequete rest between workouts, don't do the same stuff on consecutive days. for all you lifters - i really don't understand why you lift, i just run, do pullups twice a week, pushups and situps every day, and i run a 300 .. maybe someone could enlighten me

Pat

candylandisreal

Hey the same exact thing happened to me today. this week I decided to get in shape because i'm seriously thining about joining so after having not run/workout for almost six months, i started runnign again. this entire i could run three miles without stopping then today, i couldn't even make it past 1.5 miles. i was really bummed.

but make sure you eat right. i think i know i couldn't do it...i didn't have breakfast or lunch...so yeah...diet might be the problem. but good luck.

sarah

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
sublime259 said:
thanks, thats what i think im going to do. I talked to a few people and they all say that I was probably overtraining, and taking a few days off of lifting might help me get back to normal.

You'll want to be really careful. I work out quite a bit, but never thought I was "over training." Well I just found out today that I have a tiny stress fracture in my 5th metatarpol (I think thats how you spell it). Luckily my friends convinced me to go to the doctor and it was caught early enough that I hopefully only have to take 2 weeks off from running and other high impact activities (going back to the doctor then to find out). I can still swim (which I love) and bike (I don't love...I'm not joining the AirForce here), but its going to kill me to not be able to run or do step aerobics.

Ok...off on a tangent there. Basically moral of the story is don't over-train, have good tennis shoes fitted to you (that is where my problem started...had bad shoes for a while), and if you have pain (and not the good kind), take care of it immediantly (the doctor said if I had waited even a week to come in, that with the amount of exercise I am doing, it probably would've turned into a full break...not good).

EngineGirl

Status
Not open for further replies.