• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the Navy's need right now?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Heard from a very good source- a retired NFO not a recruiter- that the Navy is refitting all F/A-18's to be F models, thus the need for more NFOs. Could be wrong, but probably not.

Unless your retired NFO source happens to work for SECNAV and knows something the rest of the world does not... that's total BS.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I don't really know how they could be having an NFO draft right now, given how long we're waiting to class up at API right now, not to mention how many of us are waiting around down there.

Simple... different year group, different needs.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heard from a very good source- a retired NFO not a recruiter- that the Navy is refitting all F/A-18's to be F models, thus the need for more NFOs. Could be wrong, but probably not.

Ain't happening. Ask him where he heard that one.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Uhhhhhhh, no.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"They are having a bit of an NFO draft right now, that could last until the beginning of the summer."

-From a VERY good source

See this ongoing thread for several perspectives on same topic

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
Simple... different year group, different needs.

How does that work? They'd be recruiting for the current fiscal year still, wouldn't they? So, those of us in A-Pool would be counted in that estimation, as we'd be classing up in the same fiscal year. Besides, I was a part of the NA and NFO "draft" from last year when they put a big push on the recruit us, and look what happened to most of us...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Year group and fiscal year aren't necessarily the same. For example, since I spent a year in grad school after I commissioned, I'm a year behind my year group, and instead of FY05 I'm in FY06 when I showed up for primary. Since it's so early in the game being a year behind won't really matter right now, but that topic is a whole different thread.

The difference is that the YG projections are for later on down the road when guys start rolling into the timeframe for DH, stuff like that. The detailers look at the projected numbers at that point for each year group, and for each year group's expected numbers needed for the different billets. So, one year group may fill in a good portion of those billets, and then come the next year group there aren't nearly as many billets available, hence less numbers needed.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

Rearden

None
Year group and fiscal year aren't necessarily the same. For example, since I spent a year in grad school after I commissioned, I'm a year behind my year group, and instead of FY05 I'm in FY06 when I showed up for primary.

The difference is that the YG projections are for later on down the road when guys start rolling into the timeframe for DH, stuff like that. The detailers look at the projected numbers at the point for each year group, and for each year group's expected numbers needed for the different billets.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

Ah, I see, sounds reasonable. Anyway, this whole waiting thing has got me just a little frustrated. I know there are other topics on this board with other SNFO's expressing similar feelings, so I'll just leave it at that so that hopefully this topic can return to the original discussion.

In light of that, I would like to voice my agreement with Brett's original answer: It's extremely difficult to find out reliably what the "Needs of the Navy" really are, so the best course of action (and i found this to be true as well in my own experience with applying and getting accepted about a year ago) is to put together the strongest application package and send it up as many times as necessary to get accepted. If you have what it takes, more than likely, you'll get accepted.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
... Anyway, this whole waiting thing has got me just a little frustrated.....
See, that's what happens when you're an over-achiever....you should have stayed in P-cola and drank.

If you sleep 12 hours out of 24, the time goes twice as fast.

If you're drunk the other 12 hours, you can't remember them.

So in reality, you're in the A-pool for no time at all.....:D

Rearden

None
See, that's what happens when you're an over-achiever....you should have stayed in P-cola and drank.

If you sleep 12 hours out of 24, the time goes twice as fast.

If you're drunk the other 12 hours, you can't remember them.

So in reality, you're in the A-pool for no time at all.....:D

lol, I never thought of looking at it that way. :D

Over-Achiever... have you been reading my posts in the other topic on waiting in A-pool, perhaps?