• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the Navy's need right now?

RadissonMan

Don't worry, this isn't just another thread asking what my personal chances of getting to OCS are (I haven't even submitted my application yet). Rather, does anyone know in general what the Navy's need for officers is right now? Are things particularly tight compared to recent years, or is there an actual need for a lot of new officers?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't worry, this isn't just another thread asking what my personal chances of getting to OCS are (I haven't even submitted my application yet). Rather, does anyone know in general what the Navy's need for officers is right now? Are things particularly tight compared to recent years, or is there an actual need for a lot of new officers?

Your recruiter knows.

Brett

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will caveat that with "your officer recruiter knows." I'm sure an E recruiter will mention that the bigger priority is enlisted.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Actually, in talking with several officer recruiters, I've been given several different answers... Although, I'm friends with a Rear Admiral who works with/in the department that determines the Navy's pilot need and he assures me that the "lump has been ironed out" and that they are in need of pilots. I lean towards trusting him over the recruiters. Of course I'm the guy that knows a guy, so take this with a grain of salt.

Kinda off topic, but is it always the case that recruiters, even officer recuiters, will have differing opinions about basic issues? It seems that one of the most wise statements I've heard is "if you don't get the answer you like, keep asking someone else until you get it."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, in talking with several officer recruiters, I've been given several different answers... Although, I'm friends with a Rear Admiral who works with/in the department that determines the Navy's pilot need and he assures me that the "lump has been ironed out" and that they are in need of pilots. I lean towards trusting him over the recruiters. Of course I'm the guy that knows a guy, so take this with a grain of salt.

Kinda off topic, but is it always the case that recruiters, even officer recuiters, will have differing opinions about basic issues? It seems that one of the most wise statements I've heard is "if you don't get the answer you like, keep asking someone else until you get it."

It's really a moot point. You can't possibly hope to game the system, so just apply and let the chips fall where they may. The accessions and training pipeline is an ever moving accordion - never been any different.

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor
"They are having a bit of an NFO draft right now, that could last until the beginning of the summer."

-From a VERY good source

millerjd

Stayin' alive
I heard they still have some room for the sandbox if you volunteer

-From a VERY VERY good source

xmid

pilot
Contributor
No Sir, PM me for the details. Or the Mods can feel free to delete my post cause they don't think I know what the hell I'm talking about.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
No Sir, PM me for the details. Or the Mods can feel free to delete my post cause they don't think I know what the hell I'm talking about.

I'm not a mod, but I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about. j/k.

As for the O-4 side of the Navy, they're about 5% short overall. SWOs are about 40% short, Subs 10%, while Aviation is 45% heavy. Or, so said CNATRA last month.

Listen to Brett...join to serve and you won't go wrong. One other piece of advice...test. If you don't test well, test again (talking ASTB here) and then join aviation. NFO/SNA...you can't go wrong.

Oh, and the different answers you're hearing: That's because THAT particular recruiter is short in that particular quota. Not that everyone is like that, but most. So be careful...do what you want to do.

~D

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
I don't really know how they could be having an NFO draft right now, given how long we're waiting to class up at API right now, not to mention how many of us are waiting around down there.

Moth

Heard from a very good source- a retired NFO not a recruiter- that the Navy is refitting all F/A-18's to be F models, thus the need for more NFOs. Could be wrong, but probably not.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Heard from a very good source- a retired NFO not a recruiter- that the Navy is refitting all F/A-18's to be F models, thus the need for more NFOs. Could be wrong, but probably not.

Can't....roll...eyes....hard...enough...:rolleyes: