• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

whats the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

navr

i have yet began the process of applying to ocs, but i do have a few questions for those of you that know..first, i realize that the sna designation is difficult to get, but what are the basic requirments beside the college degree and 20/20 vision, they dont base there decisions on gpa, right? another question is how long does the process take from start to finish? is it possible to start as quik as 3 months after beginning? i just want as much info as possible thanks.

twidget

Deskaholic
Not and SNA applicant myself, but from what I understand GPA is one of the KEY indicators of commitment, academic potential, etc...

One of the things I was told by a community manager that they look for is a high ASTB, and a low GPA. This may be a bad sign. I was worried about it with a 62 OAR, but only a 3.2 GPA, but he told me not to worry about it. As an active duty member they understand having less time to study (especially with a wife and 2 kids under 5!).

You should really talk to a recruiter, and take a look at some of the posts from people going into the same fields you want.

Good Luck!

twidget

Deskaholic
Sorry, didn't realize which forum this is posted under. If you're already enlisted, try your career counselor, and take a look at OPNAVINST 1420.1, most of your answers are in there.

orthaj

I am not 100% on this but ere goes. Before 9/11 it was possible to start an app and go to OCS in four and a half months. but the situation is quite difffernt now. Lots more applicants to OCS so they can raise the bar. The Earlier you apply the for a class the better. About the GPA. The better your GPA the better your chances unless you have done something in the interim that could weigh more heavily than a GPA. There are also personal statements, reccommendations and background checks that need to get done.

jasand

Navr,

As far as the process goes everything takes longer than you think. There are many documents that you need to retrieve and fill out. Not to mention physicals, security checks, etc. The process begins by going to your nearest recruiter and taking the ASTB. To give you an idea of how long it takes I took the ASTB in May and didn't get my package sent in untill the end of August. And that's just the first package to hear about a pro. req. Once you recieve a profesional recomendation a second package of documents gets sent, then you have to wait and hear if your selected. Then if you are selected they give you an OCS date. I'm not trying to discourage you but it's just a long process. That's not to mention that if your interested in SNA the quota for FY 04 is overfilled. So if you do get selected it will be for a FY 05 slot. However that sounds worse than it is. The fiscal year for the government starts in November, and they determine the quotas by when people graduate OCS, so you can start OCS in July, 2004 and still be in the 2005 quota. The bottom line is, get started as soon as possible. Go talk to a recruiter and see what they say. But don't plan on going to OCS for about a year at the earliest. Good luck

-Jason

Borncreole

For us enlisted folk...I am sending my package in through my CC and I was wondering if it goes in a folder or what? I dont see anything in the instruction. Do you just drop it in a envolope and send it off? guidance here please....

tisoy

There's a contact phone # on the last page of the OPNAV instruction. The POC is Ed Phillips, he's one of the civilian staff (retired Chief) that works at CNRC that handles majority of the incoming OCS packages. He should be able to answer any questions you have regarding the submission of your package. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.