• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's going on here?

Armo325

pilot
I just got these emailed to me a couple weeks ago and I can't find any background info. I'm curious to find out what happened. Anyone know when this happened and what was going on?

fcnafect45av8b7pm.jpg

fcnafect45av8b21is.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe the Harrier has actually found an air-to-air threat it can handle.

I keed, I keed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Happened at El Centro about three weeks ago and one of the photo-hounds was able to get a pretty good shot. From what I understand, it was the Harrier doing some kind of non-standard departure vs. a T-45 division break. Happened right over the field and the folks in the T-45s were pretty steamed - understandably so. I was out there the very next day and everyone was talking about it.

Brett

KBayDog

Brett327 said:
From what I understand, it was the Harrier doing some kind of non-standard departure...

So the Harrier doesn't usually depart the field nearly inverted? :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
So the Harrier doesn't usually depart the field nearly inverted? :D
Yeah, I presume that was some kind of evasive maneuver. ;) :D

I've only flown out of there a couple times, but I think there's an initial 500 ft hold down for VFR departures. I don't know the details of what the Harrier was cleared for, but that could have ended up a very bad day.

Brett

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually, it was towers fault. They cleared the AV-8 for a right turn out and did not mention the T-45's inbound. He began to climb and turn out right at break altitude (800'). Two Harrier IP's in the lead T-45 were telling the AV-8 "Wake don't pull up" He heard them too late but was able to take evasive maneuvers to avoid the mid-air. Ten feet was the estimate from dash 2. Pretty lucky but can you imagine the AV8 pilot inverted at less then 800' and at a slow airspeed. Damn good flying or it's better to be lucky then good.
Semper Fly, Frumby

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eyes out of the cockpit when anywhere near an airfield is always a very good idea.

East

东部
Contributor
Thanx for the details.
Pictures tend to speak for themselves, just like this one did....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Apparently tower was overwhelmed that morning. Regardless, still helps to have good SA. I've been over there, very recently, and it was an absolute madhouse.

NavyLonghorn

Low approaching a TACAN with Blue Angel 1-4 landinging under you on the cross runway, and 5 - 6 holding for you to get the F out of the way.. now thats good times at El Centro. The NOTAMS said they would be done practicing..

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just got back from El Centro... no radar... yeah that's a sh!tshow at times.

welle

pilot
I just got these emailed to me a couple weeks ago and I can't find any background info. I'm curious to find out what happened. Anyone know when this happened and what was going on?

fcnafect45av8b7pm.jpg

fcnafect45av8b21is.jpg
Long time, but do you still have the photos? Can’t seem to find them, a buddy of mine was in the T-45 flight… I was down there on a Strike Det.