• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whats compeititive for BDCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefalo

Im in DEP right now for advanced electronics field so ill either be a an ET or FC once I ship in June. Im excited about my field and hope maybe to pick up an electrical engineering degree one day. Im 3/4 done with my AA degree and will be done with it in June. I have about a 3.0 GPA, 21 years old, and held 3 jobs before depping. BDCP seems like a great way to finish my education.

Im considering maybe applying. Im at a community college right now and know that you have to be enrolled or accepted in a 4 year university so I might try applying to these universities and then applying BDCP. What all do I have to do? There is alot of information on STA-21 and OCS but I cant find a thing about BDCP. Is it as compeititve as NROTC scholarships?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
BDCP is competitive, but it also depends on which field you wish to enter. You might want to check up on if prior-e is eligable, I'm not sure. You may have more luck with NROTC or STA-21 if you are going into university prior-e.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
We had some guys in my class who were prior on BDCP, but they weren't straight from the fleet. They were people who enlisted, got out, went to school, and decided to come back in. They went to an officer recruiter just like anyone else.

erinbynight

erinbynight
I think BDCP is more competitive than NROTC, although both are good programs and you can do tours with NROTC. I found out about the program through the navy.com website, and then I did a google search for it, and it brought up some college websites with a page or so about the program. It sounded good, so I went to the best source...my local recruiter. I found that number on the Navy website as well. It's my impression that the airwarriors site attracts a certain demographic of BDCP applicants (I'm just referring to BDCP here), and is therefore not a complete gauge of who applies to BDCP and what is competitive. I'd ask your recruiter for information on competitive scores and other info of that nature.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
In my opinion BDCP is much much more competitive than an NROTC scholarship. I am not fully knowledgable about all the different types of NROTC scholarships. Some NROTC scholarships are more competitive than others.
I know several individuals that got an ROTC scholarship with sub 3.0 GPAs that were non-technical.
High school students are elgible for ROTC scholarships, so long as they have decent HS GPAs.
I will not speak assertively about how hard ROTC scholarships are to obtain, but I will tell you this: ROTC and the Naval Academy output thousands of officers anually. OCS, which is entirely independant from these entitites, outputs much, much less. BDCP is only a small portion of OCS.
This should give you an idea of where BDCP is in the scheme of things. When I have more time, I will try and dig up the numbers so you can form your own appraisal of the situation.
I know this is sketchy, but I hope it helps. Despite how competitive BDCP is or how un-formidable it may seem, this shouldn't prevent you one bit from trying. Go for it and see what happens.

Beefalo

I would try asking my recruiter but Im not sure if he'd give me a straight answer. If I get accepted into BDCP I think it might effect his quota and he'd be -1 for the month. Do you guys really think BDCP is really harder to get into then NROTC? Id be open to any field beside nursing. I never considered applying for NROTC because it seems way compeititive. The Army ROTC at a nearby university said Id have a decent shot for Army ROTC but Navy is where I wanna be.

Kycntryboy

pilot
From what I understood from my last recruiter was that they are not per month but I believe per year, I think that he "needed" to get 3 pilot slot filled (I don't think for any specific year). Also the my recruiter was called by people who he knew wouldn't be competitive and he let them know (maybe sudtle or explicitly). Point is their not gonna waste their blowin smoke smoke up your @ss, my recruiter told me I had about a 20-30% chance of getting in. Just a thought, you can always apply for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.