• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what you "owe" the Navy for BDCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgroove808

Im a new member here seriously considering the BDCP for my last year of college and i was wondering; what happens if you go through the program but for one reason or another dont make it through OCS? Is all the money you have been given through BDCP to be repaid? Besides money, what is your responsibily and obligation to the Navy if OCS does not work out, are you in leagal trouble? Its a big commitment, is there anyway out if you are not happy?...And fraud is not the issue here, im talking about the how big of a commitment 4 years(at least) of your life is for something that you really dont know how you will handle and adapt to till you get there.

NuSnake

They will either send you yhome and say thanks for your service or they will send you to enlisted boot camp, its really their call. Just dont screw up!!

navsup

BDCP Supply
I would expect to go to enlisted boot camp if you dont finish ocs if I were you, unless you cant finish because of serious medical reasons. I heard they had a problem with people in bdcp getting to ocs and trying to fail or get kicked out.

NuSnake

Yeah theyre sick of people half assing it while they are paying them. I've seen 2 guys from our office get shipped off to boot camp, so dont gamble with it, do it for the right reasons or youll end up getting screwed.
skull_125.gif

erabe07

It spells out in the BDCP contract what happens if you don't get through OCS. I'll just go through the highlights. When you sign up for BDCP you actually sign an enlistment contract so you start getting paid. If you request disenrollment from BDCP or fail academically then you are required to complete recruit training and serve 24 months in an enlisted status. If you are medically disqualified for some reason you submit a change of designator and you get reassigned to some other field. Finally if you don't complete OCS requirements or request disenrollment from OCS you are required to complete your enlistment contract.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Hmmm, I knew about having to sign an enlistment contract and such...but I never thought about it that hard. Does that mean that while you're "enlisted" you can't fraternize with officers?

version2point0

uh, yeah. the first thing they teach you is about sexual harassment. i wouldnt fraternize with anyone, officer or otherwise. your job is to be in the navy, not to pick up chicks.

-v2.0

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BDCP - they didn't teach me anything. My recruiter just said, "Once you walk out that door you are no longer a civillian. Everything you do reflects on the Navy, so be careful." As far as responsibilities go, you don't really have to do anything except pass a PRT every 6 months and keep your grades up. That's it.

Also, from my understanding of my contract, if you NPQ from your specific designator and they can't put you in another program that YOU AGREE TO then you are released from the Navy - no need to repay the BDCP money. However, if you fail to graduate from college or OCS then you WILL go to boot camp and serve a 4 year term. Two years active duty and two reserve. If you want any more specifics on the contract then you can email me.

Status
Not open for further replies.