• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What you may now know about Iraq.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
What you may not know about Iraq.

Alot of good information on what has really been done in Iraq. This is just a blurb.

Full article here.
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=17947

What You May Not Know About Iraq
By Dept. of Defense Website
FrontPageMagazine.com | May 6, 2005

...Did you know that 47 countries have re-established their embassies in
Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi government employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?

Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under
rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers?

Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq?
They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?

This is verifiable on the Department of Defense web site...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Great post... now if those fun loving hippie liberal media twits would let the REST of the world know this...

Maybe you should give Fox News a call...

snizo

Supply Officer
One of the guys in my squadron just came back from Iraq and told me some things that make me wonder:

Those stats are impressive, but how many of those military organizations that you listed or even government programs would continue to exist and function if we left?

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade - great strides have been taken. But this is far from over and there is still a lot of work to be done.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
snizo said:
One of the guys in my squadron just came back from Iraq and told me some things that make me wonder:

Those stats are impressive, but how many of those military organizations that you listed or even government programs would continue to exist and function if we left?

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade - great strides have been taken. But this is far from over and there is still a lot of work to be done.

Well it took the US decades to finally be able to stand on its own...Iraq may take a while but the possible results make it worth it...

IRfly

None
jamnww said:
Well it took the US decades to finally be able to stand on its own...Iraq may take a while but the possible results make it worth it...

This is nothing more than a "Bushism" or a "Riceism." Would you care to explain during exactly which decades the U.S. was not "standing on its own?" I'll grant that the country we now know as America took almost 200 years to evolve into a land of freedom, justice for all, etc. But during which of those years was the U.S. under the loving guidance of heavily armed foreign occupation?

snizo

Supply Officer
You've gotta crawl before you can walk ... what jamnww said makes sense to me...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
IRfly said:
This is nothing more than a "Bushism" or a "Riceism." Would you care to explain during exactly which decades the U.S. was not "standing on its own?" I'll grant that the country we now know as America took almost 200 years to evolve into a land of freedom, justice for all, etc. But during which of those years was the U.S. under the loving guidance of heavily armed foreign occupation?

Which would you prefer the decade of the Revolutionary War or the decade afterward before the Constitution...

Perhaps you would like to review the practice of the British Navy of taking US Naval personnel hostage to serve in their forces or the dominance of the British Navy in Naval warefare. Then again maybe you prefer to consider the dominance of our Southern border by what was at the time a well developed and professional army in Mexico?

If the US had been in Europe at any point before the Civil War things would have been ugly, the oceans gave us time to develope as a nation, maybe Iraq needs something to "keep the wolves at bay"? If you recall there was a large Native American population on the Western border throughout US history...and if you recall that then maybe you will recall the number of attacks from this insurgency? (Yes, I am completely aware that the US was wrongly stealing land from them at the time, and in no way condone that but the struggle I think has some level of comparison.)

It all comes down though to the fact that you have to craw before you can walk, to use a common phrase...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Who cares?

It's nice that Iraq is a better place today than it was years ago...but so what?

What are we spending our blood and treasure on?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
So where are we going next? N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Syria, Belarussia, Cambodia, Columbia, and all the other places in the world that don't have freedom?

I don't know. I agreed with everything in the "Authorization for the Use of Force in Iraq." But it still seems like we are expending a lot of time, money, and blood for ultimately, not much return.

shortncurly

HueyCobra8151 said:
So where are we going next? N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Syria, Belarussia, Cambodia, Columbia, and all the other places in the world that don't have freedom?
QUOTE]

Sounds good to me! :p I keed, I keed....

IRfly

None
jamnww said:
Which would you prefer the decade of the Revolutionary War or the decade afterward before the Constitution...

Perhaps you would like to review the practice of the British Navy of taking US Naval personnel hostage to serve in their forces or the dominance of the British Navy in Naval warefare. Then again maybe you prefer to consider the dominance of our Southern border by what was at the time a well developed and professional army in Mexico?

If the US had been in Europe at any point before the Civil War things would have been ugly, the oceans gave us time to develope as a nation, maybe Iraq needs something to "keep the wolves at bay"? If you recall there was a large Native American population on the Western border throughout US history...and if you recall that then maybe you will recall the number of attacks from this insurgency? (Yes, I am completely aware that the US was wrongly stealing land from them at the time, and in no way condone that but the struggle I think has some level of comparison.)

It all comes down though to the fact that you have to craw before you can walk, to use a common phrase...

False analogy, false analogy, false analogy, and um, false analogy...
The biggest difference among many that makes these analogies false is that the revolution was accomplished by Americans creating their own future. The constitution was written by Americans, any of whom could have walked away at any time. What in the world do the British Navy and/or Mexican Army have to do with anything? What army is massed on Iraq's borders? External threats usually have a unifying effect, and yet I'm not seeing much unifying, unless its the Kurds and Shiites unifying against the Sunnis...Sorry, your post doesn't make sense. In all of American history (for the sake of argument, we'll say 1776 onward), Americans have made decisions for themselves and then borne the consequences of those decisions. Iraq has not. Ever. After it's so-called independence it was a puppet of British oil interests and later, American anti-Iranian interests.

This crawling before walking thing is another interesting Bushism that appeals to our sense of order but is just plain not true in the case of modern states. Can you name me any state that formed and built infrastructure, provided services, began extending rights to its citizens, etc., without first providing for its own security, both external and internal? Even in the United States, all else is subject to security concerns. If you mean that their security forces need to crawl before they walk, I'm not sure how that would go either. This whole, "As they stand up, we'll stand down," thing again sounds nice, but doesn't hold water. How do we know when/if they're "standing up?" And once the U.S. leaves, for what are they going to stand up? You realize, the U.S. could be training and equipping the most lethal police force in the Middle East? These guys could support the next dictator for decades. Wonderful.

Finally, if indeed building a successful state does take decades (implying that we'll be providing the Iraqis a well-armed incubator for at least, say, one decade), why wasn't the American public informed of this in early 2003? Or did that just slip some speechwriter's mind?

I feel like this is a threadjack...This thread is for people to feel good about everything we think we've accomplished while ignoring the true precariousness of our situation in Iraq and the Middle East.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
HueyCobra8151 said:
Who cares?

It's nice that Iraq is a better place today than it was years ago...but so what?

What are we spending our blood and treasure on?

Those are my thoughts exactly.