• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What would you do?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Everything on my package is complete, the last thing I did was my PRT. For various reasons (excuses suck anyways so who cares why) I didnt do as good as I normally do. My overall was a Good High. Normally I would be around an Excellent Medium. I may have an Excellent High in me, but thats about as good as I can do at this point (been getting in better and better shape as time progresses, it just doesnt happen over night).

Anyways the question: My recruiter is now reluctant to submit me for the next board because he said everything else was very good on my package why submit with one poor area. Long story short my options are essentially (though there may end up being another): Submit my package as is, with only a good high on my PRT. Or wait and redo it, do better, and submit for the next board.

From reading on this board it appears the PRT is a FINDOC (after Pro-Rec), but he said that the board evaluates it at the Pro-Rec level, so I need to have it good, and in with everything else for initial review. I assume he would have the right info, but does anyone else know for certain if that is the case?

I obviously want to submit the best possible package, but at the same time want to secure my future as well.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I had a crappy PRT score when I did it before submitting my package, but keep in mind the recruiter probably knows best (or thinks he does)... I guess the only way to find out is to apply, but trust me, you would rather wait a month and get in rather than getting nonselected and trying again.

nugget81

pilot
From your post I infer that you did pass the PRT, just not with as high of scores as you'd like. Minimums are Good Low and I got in with Good Low. Minimums for starting OCS are Good Low. Good Low is not a "poor area" -- it meets the requirements.

This post also assumes that you're not going into the Marines, where they seem to care more about PFT scores than GPA or ASTB. If this assumption is correct then your scores should be fine. Apply and find out...

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I got in with a Good Low across the board. Of course, my first choice was Supply (which I got), notoriously a "less physically-focused" designator. But I got in. YMMV. I would go ahead and apply. A good high is pretty decent!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
nugget81 said:
Minimums for starting OCS are Good Low.

Unless something's changed, you only need a Satisfactory Medium...maybe even probationary on the In-PRT at OCS. I don't recommend this, but I'm just saying we had a weakling not roll because he "banged out" 37 pushups.

That being said, I wouldn't stress a Good High. After all, the out-PRT standards are Excellent low...passing the Out-PRT is not a critera for acceptance.

Couple that with the fact that people fail the In-PRT, which pretty much shows that recruiters are submitting bogus PRT scores.

Bottom line: Go ahead and apply.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Tom said:
I had a crappy PRT score when I did it before submitting my package, but keep in mind the recruiter probably knows best (or thinks he does)... I guess the only way to find out is to apply, but trust me, you would rather wait a month and get in rather than getting nonselected and trying again.

This is true, I just hope that I dont waste a month, or something else because of that what if. Likewise my GPA has been going up every quarter, and I will continually have more flight hours, and if I retake the ASTB better scores... At what point do you say, I feel they will be happy with the results, lets find out. This situation reminds me of all the posts I have read asking "What are my chances".... and my favorite (and most commonly read) answer is always "0%" until you apply. I do of course agree with you, and if only I had the nifty calculator that they use at CNRC I could tell you when good enough, is enough. :)

Nugget81 said:
From your post I infer that you did pass the PRT, just not with as high of scores as you'd like. Minimums are Good Low and I got in with Good Low. Minimums for starting OCS are Good Low. Good Low is not a "poor area" -- it meets the requirements.

This post also assumes that you're not going into the Marines, where they seem to care more about PFT scores than GPA or ASTB. If this assumption is correct then your scores should be fine. Apply and find out...

Yup, I passed. It was my run that wasnt as good as normal. You are correct with your assumption, this is for the Navy. Thanks for the advice.

metro said:
I got in with a Good Low across the board. Of course, my first choice was Supply (which I got), notoriously a "less physically-focused" designator. But I got in. YMMV. I would go ahead and apply. A good high is pretty decent!

Thanks for the advice.

ThisGuy said:
Unless something's changed, you only need a Satisfactory Medium...maybe even probationary on the In-PRT at OCS. I don't recommend this, but I'm just saying we had a weakling not roll because he "banged out" 37 pushups.

That being said, I wouldn't stress a Good High. After all, the out-PRT standards are Excellent low...passing the Out-PRT is not a critera for acceptance.

Couple that with the fact that people fail the In-PRT, which pretty much shows that recruiters are submitting bogus PRT scores.

Bottom line: Go ahead and apply.

Also, thanks for the advice.

I think I am going to try to apply, I really want to see what the Board thinks of me. If they get back and say "Better PRT/ASTB/GPA/Flight Hours" etc. Ill be ready to improve it, but I am hoping they are interested as is.

The only downer is if my recruiter is now less than stoked on me because of it then it will reflect that on the letter the recruiter writes to the board. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions, I will be anxiously awaiting the results.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
RHPF said:
I think I am going to try to apply, I really want to see what the Board thinks of me. If they get back and say "Better PRT/ASTB/GPA/Flight Hours" etc. Ill be ready to improve it, but I am hoping they are interested as is.

You get feedback from the board!!?! Wow that must be nice...:D

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
STA-21? Zero direct feedback from the board...
I concur with putting in a package now...even if you are not pro-recd this time, you will have a track record for the next package. Just make sure that those scores improve for the next package.
Best of luck

nugget81

pilot
RHPF said:
Maybe you dont? I heard you do. Perhaps my gouge is off... :confused:

I've never heard of any BDCP applicant getting direct feedback from the selection board. Instead the recruiter typically knows what to look for and can offer some advice on what to improve, if necessary. Perhaps the recruiter has a contact on the board and can get "off-the-record" feedback. Regardless, Good Luck!