• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What will happen to me?

Mr Mojo Risin'

Hey all,

I'm a struggling SNA and am probably in danger of attriting. I've been giving it my all, but things just aren't coming together in the air and I've had some really bad flights. I was just curious, what is the current policy for attrites? Will they redesignate me, send me on an IA, or will I just find myself in the unemployment line? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

NavyLonghorn

Hey all,

I'm a struggling SNA and am probably in danger of attriting. I've been giving it my all, but things just aren't coming together in the air and I've had some really bad flights. I was just curious, what is the current policy for attrites? Will they redesignate me, send me on an IA, or will I just find myself in the unemployment line? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

We've all seen guys get through some bad spots bro. Dont think about attricion, bust your ass and pull through. You are not the first and will not be the last to struggle.

S.O.B.

pilot
Hey all,

I have friend who said his ATJ looked like a watermelon; he's an instructor at the FRS and was the #1 JO in his squadron. It just takes some folks a little longer then others. Don't worry about what will happen "if" focus on how great it will be to complete. Good Luck!

plc67

pilot
Do not give up! I went through about half the program with two downs; you were only allowed two and on your third it was a given you were gone. I certainly struggled but I figured they may give up on me but I wasn't going to give up and I made it; even though I didn't cover myself in glory.

Mr Mojo Risin'

Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of encouragement. However, tomorrow I actually find out if I'm getting the boot, so I'm just really curious about what may happen if it is all over for me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of encouragement. However, tomorrow I actually find out if I'm getting the boot, so I'm just really curious about what may happen if it is all over for me.

I'm sure you'll find out everything you'll need to know at that point then. All people here are going to be able to do is speculate because they don't know the details of your particular situation.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I know you're trying to "plan for the worst", but attriting can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Keep working hard, keep trying, and get help where you can get it. Talk to IPs, let them know you're struggling and want help. They'll do their part.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

So you may get helos...so what?! Just kidding...I know it's tough right now in the last hour to think about it, but be honest and give the Navy a few options. The classic line "I wanna do Intel" doesn't usually work for guys but know that attriting is better than DORing...

As for what's next if you get the boot...I've seen it go many different ways. All of the guys I know who attrited are actually really enjoying themselves...just doin' different things.

Good luck tomorrow and if you need anything, give me a ring. We'll have lunch at the club on Tuesday or something (if you're even at Whiting). PM coming with cell #.

~Dan

Jay

As for what's next if you get the boot...I've seen it go many different ways. All of the guys I know who attrited are actually really enjoying themselves...just doin' different things.

Concur with all that, we all know guys who've attrited, I know easily 10 that have left flight school for various reasons, including attrition.

Bottom line, it's totally up in the air. I know one guy who attrited out of Primary and got redesignated-SWO-I believe. Another out of Advanced and went the whol General Aviation Officer thing, heard it's not a stellar tour btw. And I know both other sides, both are out of the Navy, and all these guys in the last year or so, so yeah, it varies.

Be happy you didn't make it all the way through Primary, on to Meridian, qual at the boat, and then not graduate because your NSS wasn't high enough too, for every story, somebody else has got it worse.

You tried, you gave it your best, and like many, many others have found out, this craps hard and not for everyone. Good luck with what you find out.

Oh, btw, Marine? Adjuctant Okinawa, go ahead and call TMO.

thull

Hey all,

I'm not totally clear on this yet... do SNAs who attrite stay in the military, not stay in the military, or have an option either way? can you go back to civilian life?

Troy

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Unless it has changed in the couple of months since I left the training command, the guidance was pretty clear.All DOR's/Attrites were to be processed out of the Navy from the primary/multi-eng advanced/HT programs. The TACAIR guys were case by case either sent back to multi-eng or HT, depending on circumstances (what phase they attrited in....read only had problems at the boat) and performance to the point that they were attrited. If they were attrited in a phase other than DQ at the boat it was usually a no go and the same rules applied as in the other training pipelines/phases. The only people that were being kept in the Navy and redesignated were those that had "special skills and training" in fields that were deemed vital to the Navy. The days of attriting and automatically redesignating swo, intel, etc have passed, due to overmanning issues Navy-wide. There are always exceptions, depending on timing, but they were very rare. In some cases, DOR's were sent to the ships gen av, but only as billet fillers (ATO, etc) for brief periods until they were no longer needed and then processed out as soon as their need was over. (Example: The ATO out here was a DOR and spent about 5 months here until he was processed out.) There are some additional considerations specific to obligated service, what happens if the Navy paid for your college, etc, but that is really complicated and not really something to worry about in this discussion. To some degree the decisions were service specific as well, with Marines redesignating based on their own billet needs, but to sum up, the general rule is if you are attrited, you will probably be exploring other opportunities outside the Navy. Sounds harsh, but it is the reality of how the process is running. That being said....keep plugging, and keep your head up. Until the Commodore says it is over, you are still in the game. Good luck, and pm me if you have any other specific questions. I unfortunately dealt with this quite a bit in my last job.