• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What weapon do helo pilots fly with?

pjxc415

pilot
Specifically rifle/sidearm. Is there any choice in the matter? I've heard cobra guys fly with the M4 but have never heard it straight from the horses mouth.

On a sidenote - I had a community briefing with our IPs up at VT-3 yesterday. I will summarize.
1) C-130 guy was psyched about the J model. Got the opportunity to land it once and said he fell in love. Said if you really want to travel and see the world, C-130s is where its at.
2) Cobra guys confirmed they eat their young, but for good reason - its all for the LCpl on the ground and ensuring he can close with and destroy. For deployments they were doing 7 on 5 off.
- One Cobra pilot actually admitted he was jealous of the Huey guys now that the Yankee model is coming out, but was also very psyched about the Z.
3) The 53 pilot couldn't say enough about this platform - powerful, pretty fast for a helo, and loved having Marines in the back. Claimed he had below average grades in flight school but has physical attributes well above average. I assume that is standard?
4) Harrier/18 - cool guys. talked more about the T-45 than individual platforms - said they would rather fly the C than A. Meridian/Kingsville both suck, but Kingsville seems to be the lesser of two evils. Selecting harriers will be the quickest route getting in a JSF cockpit. If you want to go jets right now you need a 52 nss.
5) Phrogs - they have a mafia. Quickest route to the osprey, other than selecting osprey.
- The consensus among all these salty IPs was that the generation now in flight school and to come will be flying all the cool sh** that they dreamed of as kids. Marine aviation is going through a huge upgrade right now.

phrogpilot73

Specifically rifle/sidearm. Is there any choice in the matter? I've heard cobra guys fly with the M4 but have never heard it straight from the horses mouth.
When you check into your first fleet squadron, you will be issued your very own M9. You'll generally see it at the range, and when you clean it (unless you bribe the armorers to clean it for you), and when you deploy. Everyone carries one, it's your T/O weapon as an officer.

As for rifles - Cobra guys get issued M4's for deployment, because they don't have room in the cockpit for an M16.

Just about everyone else gets M16s. Sometimes there's not enough M16s to go around, so they'll have "stock" weapons that you check out prior to each flight. Actually getting around to checking them out and flying with them is up to you. I knew guys that only took their M9 on flights. I always checked out an M16, and left it under the seats in the cabin for the duration. Then checked it back in.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for rifles - Cobra guys get issued M4's for deployment, because they don't have room in the cockpit for an M16.

Concur, I was just in PMA-276 (H-1 Upgrades Program office) and Cobra pilot (O-5) mentioned working rack for M4 because they didn't have room for anything larger. He said that was all he had flown with (besides sidearm). So there you have it second hand from the horse's mouth.