• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco36

Hey this is my first post here. I am currently a sophmore at Jacksonville University here in Florida and I am thinking about joing the NROTC program here. Monday I will be talking to the recruiter for the program, but I just wanted to maybe get a heads up of what is to go on? Just to be better prepared. If someone could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank-you for your time.

rocco36

Alright, you can disregard this topic if you want. I just found one that talks about the interview.

rocco36

Something just came to mind. I read from a link posted here that the military changed it's asthma requirement from anything after 13 years-old I believe. Say that a person had asthma at a young age, but grew out of it. Is it worth lying if you feel that you can fully perform running tasks and everything else without breathing problems? How in-depth do they look at your medical history? Does it all depend on who is doing it? Just curious.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
threads also posted about that... Here is my humble opinion. If you lie and it ends up effecting you later, that will not be good for you at all. If you are up front you know your ass is covered. It may make the application process a little more involved (having to submit med records showing it is gone probably).

rocco36

Yeah thanks bch. After this thread I was doing some more reading and came to the conclusion that it's best to just be up front. The consequences don't seem nice if they find out later. I think I'm going to take a PFT or something to determine if I have asthma or not. What if it is classified as asthma, but the severity is very low? Is there still a chance? I appreciate you taking time to reply. Take care

erabe07

I don't know about asthma, but I know I was worried about my food allergies as a factor. Although disclosing them was unsettling, I knew lying wasn't the answer. As it turns out they were red flagged and I was asked to get a more thorough exam for them. Instead, I typed up a statement detailing that I have been living with them all my life and they are easily within my control. That did the trick, as I accepted a BDCP SNA contract last August. Even though it might take some smoothing over later, I would never fraudulently do anything related to the government, especially if you're hoping to have a long career in the Navy. Thats just my advice. Good luck with your application.

rocco36

Thanks for the advice rabe0030. I will tell them upfront about it. I'm thinking when they ask of telling them that I've had it the worst as a child, but I believe I have grown out of it. To be sure, I am going to schedule an asthma test in a few weeks when I will be in my home town. I am also getting my medical history. I saw that after 13 years of age is now disqualifying. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything on my record after 13 years old. So I will get the test done, get my medical history to be well prepared to show them any documents, and take it from there. I guess if it doesn't work out, then it wasn't meant to be. But I'll take it one day at a time and hope for the best. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it. Later.

flynhi

rocco36-
The Navy will work with you on some things as long as you are honest and can pass all their medical exams without having something that will cause you a problem while in service.

WannaBEaP3gal

Just to give you a heads up, as of now, the Navy is being really picky about the physicals since there are too many junior officers out there right now... my functional reach came up 1 inch short, and I can't get a waiver for it, not even a single pipeline waiver to fly something where I can reach all the buttons (which by the way is crap since I've sat in many naval aircraft and had no problem reaching buttons). But atleast I can be an NFO, but I'll tell you I was devastated when I found out I couldn't be a pilot. So expect the worse, and hope for the best!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
IceWoman04 said:
Just to give you a heads up, as of now, the Navy is being really picky about the physicals since there are too many junior officers out there right now... my functional reach came up 1 inch short, and I can't get a waiver for it, not even a single pipeline waiver to fly something where I can reach all the buttons (which by the way is crap since I've sat in many naval aircraft and had no problem reaching buttons). But atleast I can be an NFO, but I'll tell you I was devastated when I found out I couldn't be a pilot. So expect the worse, and hope for the best!

Be surprised what happens when you're strapped in with a locked and tight harness.

WannaBEaP3gal

Well yeah I know that! I've been strapped in a few before. I wanted to fly P-3s, you're not strapped in nice in tight in those though.... bogus :(

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
IceWoman04 said:
Well yeah I know that! I've been strapped in a few before. I wanted to fly P-3s, you're not strapped in nice in tight in those though.... bogus :(

Bullsh!t.

Run a ditch drill in NATOPS scenario on a checkride.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Bullsh!t.

Run a ditch drill in NATOPS scenario on a checkride.

Oh SNAP!

You're also not tight and locked in a T-34, until you're in a landing pattern, or a HAPL/LAPL, or takeoff, or... it goes on.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Oh sh!t, here we go... One time when I was a mid, I was strapped into a ____ .......

Status
Not open for further replies.