• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to expect at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbines

Hi everyone,

I have been following discussions in this forum for the last week and found the information very usefull. I was hoping that someone could give me a synopsys of what to expect when I get to OCS April 6th. For instance, what are the classes like? Do you get enough time to study for classes? Are the teachers good or boring? What suggestions do you have to avoid pissing off the gunary sargent? Any tips on making the transition from civilian life to military life easier? If I am capable of doing around 65 pushups, 100 situps, and 10 minute 1.5 miles will the PT still be overwhelming?

Thanks for the info in advance,

Ben

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
ben,
The question you just asked it a bit tough to answer without giving too much away. But i can tell you that for the most part OCS is controlled chaos! Their will be times when you will hate life and and would give anything to be anywhere but there. But you will also make some really good friendships. And i have to say i liked most of the people i meet in my OCS experience. but the only way to get ready is to expect the unexpected and do exactly what you are told. Also i would suggest that you try and avoid being in the middle of first squad for drill, because then your gunny will see every single mistake you make!

benbines

MRW and Falconer,

Thanks for the heads up. I did check out what was said in the previous discussions but most of it was pretty vague. I have memorized the big 3 already, but have yet to memorize the chain of comand (other than the Secretary of defense, Vice president and president Of Course). Other than that, what else should I study before I get there?

Ben

Ben

Falcaner

Ben,
Haveing what you have meorized is all you really ned to know. You are more ahead of the game then I was when I went through. The only other thing I would sugest is run. Run untill you can't run anymore. Oh, this is off the subject but what part of Raytheon do you work for. I use to work for them up in mass.

benbines

Oh, this is off the subject but what part of Raytheon do you work for. I use to work for them up in mass.

Right now I am still Employed in their Financial Leadership Developement Program. It is a 2 year, six month rotational program and I am currently working in Mckinney TX In the Budgets and Rates Group. Our group is under the Tactical Busines Unit, which is under the Electronic Systems Busines Segment. I grew up in Lexington MA, though. Where in MA did you live?

Ben

Falcaner

Ben,
I lived and worked in Marlborough Mass. i work on the Stars program and a few other assorited programs in IATC. From what i have heard not too much has gone on in that department since I left. Oh I am sure you are sure as my friends are about the outcome of the super bowl!

benbines

Oh I am sure you are sure as my friends are about the outcome of the super bowl!

You just have to have faith.

A few people in my program are based out of marlborough. Is that plant C3I or ES?

Ben

unfUSN

benbines - OCS sucks for about 11 weeks the last two are pretty much cake. The 1st week (Poopie) week blows and it get tends to get a little better after your 7th week drill comp. The classes are not hard at all, but it is quick paced and you don't have enough time to study. So, basically memorize the stuff fir the test and then forget it to make room for the next test. Most of the instructors I had were pretty good. A LT Hooper my Naval Warfare instructor and he was great... and I had a kick ass QMCM for Navigation. But most are ok, I slet alot during class though... I still graduatd with a 97.5 GPA, so its not that tough. As far as pissing off the GYSGT's there not much you can do. Just put out 100% and don't drop out of runns or stopp PTing when they are watching you. Nothing at OCS is performance dependent, meaning that when they tel you to yell louder you can shatter glass and you will still "push" (meaning push ups). They will catch anything that anyone does wrong and most the time they will catch stuff that no one is doing wrong ( basically make it up) just to piss you off and stress you out. The quicker your class can get over that the better OCS will be. So don't get mad at your fellow poopies when the DI says that since somebody messed up you are all gonna pay. That's they're job to push you!! You are gonna be in pain no matter what you do for the first 4 to 6 weeks... get over it! Just do your time and get out. Your PT scores seem good to enter OCS... no matter how well trained you are you are gonna get wore out. We had a former SEAL in our class and there was one in a coule of classes under us and they got tired. One of my god friends at OCS was a semi-pro triathalete and he got tired... not as fast as me, but OCS was rough on him too. Its not that bad just suck it up and do it.

Oh yeah... don't volunteer for ANY class position, i.e President, Vice-President. Its too much crap adn you don't anything for it, but more stress. Trust me!

Hope this helped...

ENS Payne

el_riddle

60 bubba
ENS Payne,
thanks for the ocs advice...i start up in late march. one thing you said though contradicts with what someone else told me and i thought i'd ask you more about it, and that is class officer's. you said its just tons of work, and that you don't get anything for it...then why would anyone want to go through the hassle? if i were a glutton for punishment and did become an class officer, what would be the pro's of such position?
thanks
luke

unfUSN

Hey, Sorry that it took so long to get back to you... The only reason that I can think anyone would want to be a class officer is to impress the class team (Chief and DI) or something... and they don't have to stand watch... but I'd rather stand watch than deal with the crap...

hope that helps... feel free to call me with any questions 1-800-999-NAVY X118

ENS Payne

Status
Not open for further replies.